Artificial Sweetener Sensitivity

GerryF2003
on 8/4/16 11:23 am
RNY on 12/11/17

This is supposed to be Day 8 of my liquid pre-op diet, but yesterday they switched me back to solids because I've had too much diarrhea. Apparently I can't tolerate the artificial sweeteners. They haven't postponed my surgery date yet, but I don't see how I can go through with it if I can't tolerate all the stuff I'm supposed to eat afterwards. Has anyone else faced this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/16 11:32 am

I don't tolerate most artificial sweeteners. 

but I do tolerate stevia.  There are a lot of protein powders with stevia. 

About Time Whey is one of them.. MRM, Jay Robb, etc etc..

Unjury - chicken flavor - is not suppose to have any sweeteners. 

but - there are some people who don't tolerate any protein powders and they relay on food to get the proteins.. it can be done. "Where is the will - there is the way" 

don't think why you can't do it - think about what you need to do to make it possible, 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 8/4/16 5:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had a few issues with it.  I just used unflavored protein powder and added truvia.  Diarrhea often happens when adapting to a low carb diet, too.  It went away after a week for me.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

FuturePinUp
on 8/5/16 7:33 am

You don't have to eat artificial sweeteners afterwards. I HATE the taste of artificial sweetners and did just fine without them post-op. You can get unflavored protein powder and mix it in with broth, or Greek yogurt, or even in an iced coffee (my preferred method). What does your post-op plan look like? Liquids or mushy? 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views