Thought from 16 months post op

Kara D.
on 8/21/16 5:41 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Yesterday I participated in a 2 mile walk for our local homecoming. I walked it last year at 4 months post op. I finished in 39 minutes and it was pushing my limit of endurance. This year I walked it in 32 minutes and was ready to walk more, I usually walk 4 miles 4 or 5 times a week. I am amazed at how much difference I see in myself, not only was I faster and stronger, I am 40+ pounds lighter. 

It's taken over a year to get to this point and it's been more than a diet or just surgery that brought on this change, its been a whole attitude and relationship change with food. Not a day goes by that I don't think about how many calories I am eating and my protein and water intake. It's second nature now. I still struggle with a desire for pop, I know all the reasons to avoid it and that I am only hurting all my other hard work, but it is my true weakness. Sweets and carbs are not a problem, I avoid them easily, but pop is my problem. But that's not the point, my point is how different I feel and how much easier life is since my surgery and my changes. I'm glad for all the research I did prior to my surgery, I was better prepared to live with the new lifestyle. I was comfortable with the new mindset and I don't feel like I am missing out on meals when I choose my foods. I cook dinner for my parents every night and Im able to fix what they want to eat and still meet my requirements. If that means just having cottage cheese or a protein bar it's all good because I'm doing what's best for me. I fix meals that are geared towards my diet and my dad grumbles but he eats the meal anyway.

Comparing this August to last August has been a great reflection. I was far enough out from surgery last year to have a true understanding of what I had to do to succeed and this year I can see the results of that understanding. I'm glad I walked the 2 mile race, it helped me to see just how far I have came since surgery in April of 2015.

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Gwen M.
on 8/21/16 5:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How wonderful!  Keep up the great work :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kelly L.
on 8/21/16 9:54 am

Congrats to you on a fantastic job and kudo's for the walking! 

beelitehobbies
on 8/24/16 8:27 pm, edited 8/24/16 1:27 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Good Job. I am not far off your timeline myself.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Most Active