Had Consults Yesterday

Joshua H.
on 8/26/16 12:57 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

First things first, thanks for the warm welcome on Wednesday, it was appreciated.

As far as the consults, they were very anti-climatic.  I have known lots of people that have gone through this and it seemed that their interaction with the doctors and psychologists were very draining on them.  I was prepared for this.  However...

Meeting #1, with the surgeon.  He explained a bit about the surgeries.  Did a cursory examination.  Went over my records with me.  He was on the fence RNY/VSG (closer to RNY) because of my Type II, but I leaned toward VSG as I didn't have Type II 120 pounds ago, which was still overweight.  He said that he likes VSG and would be happy/willing to do that surgery on me.  Mentioned that because I carry weight on my stomach/chest, it makes the surgery (either one) a bit more difficult so he'd like me to keep losing weight (down 15 since the seminar), do 1 protein shake meal replacement per day, and ramp up my exercise regimen.  He provided details on the pre and post-surgery protocol (diet, medicine, exercise, followup).

I think you are a good candidate and I will perform surgery on you if everything else checks out.

Meeting #2, with the Psychologist.  This is the one I heard some of the horror stories about.  Are you married?  Do you have kids?  Anyone else in the family overweight?  Do you know anyone who got the surgery?  Did you have a happy childhood?  Are you depressed?  Have you ever been hospitalized for depression?  Do you exercise?  Do you smoke?  Do you drink soda?  Do you drink caffeine?  Do you drink alcohol?  Do you take any illegal drugs?

Unless someone else objects, I think you are a good candidate.

Meeting #3, with the Internist.  Do you smoke?  Do you drink soda?  Do you drink caffeine?  Do you drink alcohol?  Do you take any illegal drugs?  Heart looks good, overall health looks good.  Are you getting a sleeve or bypass (same sleeve vs bypass discussion that I had with surgeon)?  

I think you are an excellent candidate.

I met with all three for a total of 40-50 minutes over a 4 hour period.  I was expecting....more.  It seemed very matter of fact and almost casual in the way that it was discussed.  Mind you, I like this as it seems to me that they are confident in their abilities to assess and recommend a treatment, AND to execute on that plan.

So, it goes like this now.  All three doctors write up their findings (which will be done today, or Monday morning).  The surgeon's office will then submit the paperwork to my insurer (UHC for those playing the home game).  My insurer, based on anecdotal evidence, takes between 2 minutes and 2 weeks to approve or deny.  Assuming approval, the surgeon's office will call me and try and find a date that works for everyone.  My coordinator told me, but I promised not to keep her to this, that they are currently scheduling out for 3-4 weeks.  This can change with illnesses and vacations.

It appears that I am looking at about 4-5 weeks out at this point.

Quick story:  The psychologist asked if my wife was supportive (yes) and then if my mother (who had VSG) is supportive.  Well, my mom had her VSG back in 2006 when it was still in it's experimental stages.  The doctor accidentally cut my mom's liver during surgery and didn't notice.  During recovery, they noted fluid in her abdomen, but said that this was normal and it would eventually go away.  Three days out, they finally figure out the liver thing and fix it.  So, in that my mother was bleeding out for three days -- I think that the surgery could cure male pattern baldness, pay off your mortgage, make your kids clean their rooms and guarantee healthy weight loss and she'd still have to think about whether or not she was supportive of it for me, her baby.

rachelp
on 8/26/16 2:03 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

That's great! Sounds like you are on the fast path to surgery. My surgeon was going on vacation the week we were supposed to receive my insurance approval so they went ahead and put me in their books so I didn't have to wait until they got back. I had my surgery about 4 weeks after my first consult. It goes by fast! Good luck on your diet! You will loose a bunch on your pre-op liquid diet.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Joshua H.
on 8/26/16 2:42 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

My surgeon only has a 1 or 2 day liquid preop.  

Find it interesting on all the differently methodologies employed by different doctors.

rachelp
on 8/26/16 2:58 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Yeah, mine was only for a week and I could have creamed soups, cottage cheese and anything sugar free liquid. I wasn't to terribly deprived. 

Most Active