I'm scared

kyzze
on 8/27/16 9:21 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I am really close to my goal weight and lately I have just been wanting to snack all of the time. I had so much discipline but now it seems to be going away. I haven't gained or loss any weight but Im scared to start gaining. I really want to be successful at this.

Kyzze

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/28/16 3:55 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I am feeling exactly the same!  I'm not sure I can eliminate snacking but I am going to vow to snack on healthy, high-protein first.  I hope that will keep the unhealthy urges down (we will see).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/28/16 4:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

For the vast majority of us, hunger starts coming back with a vengeance between 6 months and a year. It stinks. Many of us think the lack of food craving lasts forever, but it doesn't. This is where it gets hard, but you can do it.

The best thing I did was continue to weigh and track my food. That cuts down on the fear that you are eating too much. You will KNOW if you are, or aren't.

If you are physically hungry, eat a small snack of dense protein. Eat a piece of chicken or something similar. If your head is insisting on crackers or something like that, it's head hunger, and not actual hunger, and you need to resist.

I'd like to say this gets easier over time, but it doesn't. Keep fighting.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

kyzze
on 8/28/16 4:29 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I will keep fighting. Thanks Grim for the support.

Kyzze

LeapSecond
on 8/28/16 4:40 am - AR

I was complacent with my weight loss and started eating off plan.  Regained and now I'm working very hard to get that off.  It is work to keep this off i we rest I return to old eating.  Hang in there.  You haven't gained.  Push through and stay on plan.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

White Dove
on 8/28/16 6:38 am - Warren, OH

It seems like if you could lose 100 pounds or whatever it took to get close to goal, then it should be easy to relax, gain a little and lose that little regain.

The body does not work that way.  Once you "flip the switch" back to gaining, it is almost impossible to go back to losing.  If you are snacking on carbs, your hunger will increase more and more.  You have to eat protein snacks.

You have to weigh your food.  You have to track every bite.  You have to become a scale addict and weigh everyday.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 8/28/16 7:05 am

I think it is very common to be pulled to snacking as you approach goal.  Its a long journey, and the end is in sight.

I was terrified of regain, and it took me a while to get a balance in my eating and weight.  But you can do it.  I'm three years post op - two years into maintenance, and I'm holding within a few pounds of my goal.  What I am doing is setting a limit a few pounds over goal weight, and then when I hit that number, I go back into weight loss mode for a few days until the weight is back in the acceptable range.  When I'm in the acceptable range, I allow myself occasional cheats and occasional snacks.  When I'm over, then I stick to plan.  This is working for me.

I do think it is important to avoid grazing, and to keep most meals healthy (low cal and low carb).  I allow an occasional higher-calorie, and/or higher-carb meal.  But most of my meals are the same as when I'm in weight loss.  This is enough of a "reward" to make the diet maintainable. 

Maintenance is a challenge.  The diet isn't done when you finish losing weight - that's for sure!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 2:37 pm

I'm right where you are, nearing goal weight, and fighting carb cravings. Gained 10 pounds this summer. Scary much? YES!

My strategy, implemented just 3 days ago, is the same as before I started snacking and nibbling -- tracking every mouthful of food and beverage on myfitnesspal.com, getting any junk and overly tempting food out of my home, and getting serious about getting more exercise. I advise you to read or reread "Refuse to Regain!," by Barbara Berkeley. I don't agree with absolutely everything she says, but 99% is right on target.

As soon as I returned to eating as I did during the first year after sleeve surgery, my sleeve stepped up and did a wonderful job of curbing hunger. I had known in an abstract way before WLS that weight loss and maintenance would always be a struggle for me, but now it'**** home and it's personal. But my sleeve and I make a good team -- we're going to get to goal together and stay there. It will happen for you, too, if you are committed to it. Review all your strategies and plans to find the best way to stay on track. Find new ones if necessary. Do whatever it takes!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Neonanrs
on 8/29/16 1:43 pm

Fight it, stay active and away from food you can get through this 

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

kyzze
on 8/29/16 8:46 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks, I'm really trying.

Most Active