VSG to RNY

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 11:09 am - Oshawa, Canada

I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that had a revision from VSG to RNY? Their experiences? How much they lost with both surgeries? How long did you wait?

A little about me.. July 20th, 2015 I had VSG, weighing 479 lbs I am over a year out now, and had my one year follow-up with my hospital, they since gave me a date to meet the surgeon to discuss a revision to RNY which is Oct 14, I am so excited!!! I have lost 156 lbs and so many inches that I have stopped counting. I have heard from the team at TWH that they will likely perform the RNY 1.5 - 2 years from having the VSG to give me the chance to lose as much as I can.

Any feedback is welcome!!! If you don't feel like commenting your story, send me a message :)  

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/16 1:46 pm

Why RNY instead of the DS? If your sleeve is working well and you don't have GERD issues, the DS may be the best way to go. The DS has the absolute best long term result for maintaining weight lost statistically. Yes, like all WLS the DS has it's own set of issues, but for the SMO obese it is a great option. You already have the sleeve portion of the DS. It would just be doing the switch at this point. (Just, hahahaha.... surgery is never a just, now is it?!?!?!) 

Just my thoughts. No harshness intended. 

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 2:17 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I did look into the DS, and was on the fence on getting it, but when I talked to the hospital team they said that there is no surgeon around me that will perform it. Thank you for your response!! :)

Valerie G.
on 9/22/16 4:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a shame to lose a perfectly functioning stomach in exchange for a whole new set of issues.  Many people travel for the DS, and I can assure you that it's well worth it.  I believe there is one surgeon in Ontario who does it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jrog22
on 9/20/16 3:21 pm
VSG on 08/20/16

It seems like you are doing great with VSG.  Have you thought about continuing with the sleeve to see how far you can go before having another surgery?  Just a thought from an outsider as my surgery is next week for the sleeve.

HW 450, CW 358 (November 26, 2016) Surgery Date 9/26/2016

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 7:12 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you!! I feel that I am doing amazing with the Sleeve, my weightloss has stalled for the most part, so I want to get a jump on being approved for the revision. I don't plan on having the revision until Feb or later.. to give me the best results and to lose as much as I can which is 1.5 years post-op from VSG. I feel that my Sleeve is only going to allow me to get to a certain weight, which is 335lbs (the goal that my surgeon set for me).. I did get down to 326lbs!! My weightloss has almost come to its end,  I have been losing and gaining the same 4 pounds for months now. Congrats on the date, you must be so excited!!! Do you have any questions?

Gwen M.
on 9/20/16 5:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you still losing weight with your current surgery?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 7:17 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I have been losing and gaining the same 4 pounds for the last 2 months! I am still losing, a here, and a pond there, but I have only lost 10 pounds in the two months. I am 14 months out, so I get that the weight loss will slow down, I just don't want to regain. Gaining and losing the same 4lbs is fine, it's when it become 10 or more that scares me. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/20/16 5:55 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Try cross posting on the rny & revision forums. Have you heard the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you're losing with the vsg why go for a revision? Well anyway do what's best for you & good luck either way. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 7:21 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you, I have cross-posted and have received quite a few responses.  My Sleeve will only get me so far, since my highest weight was so high, my surgeon thought it was best for me to have the VSG first then do a revision 1.5-2 years post-op to get me to a healthy weight for my frame. 

Most Active