Sleeve cost in Arizona and sourrounding states for cash pay?

jeralandy
on 9/30/16 7:09 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a decent price for the sleeve surgery. Does anyone in Arizona or any of the surrounding states know a good doctor who charges a fair price for the surgery? The doctor I wanted to go with here in Phoenix wants to charge me $20,000. 

I know there are more options in Phoenix alone, but I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow it down a bit. 

Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/16 8:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm in Tucson, and my surgeon quoted $24k self-pay, all-inclusive, when I had surgery in 2013.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jeralandy
on 9/30/16 8:50 am

I've been calling around Phoenix this morning and the lowest I've found so far is $17,520. I was thinking it could be done for less.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/16 9:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There are quite a few people here who've gone to Mexico for surgery, since the out-of-pocket is quite a *****eaper. If memory serves, I've seen people quoting in the neighborhood of $10k? Since you'd probably be able to catch a ride, rather than flying, it might be a good option.

Try checking the Mexico surgery forum, I bet others can give you more information.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 9/30/16 9:53 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I believe Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas will do a sleeve for under $10,000.

If you are willing to go to Mexico, you can book with an experienced surgeon, include hotel stay (not travel) for around $5,000 depending on which doctor you pick.

rachelp
on 9/30/16 10:28 am
VSG on 08/01/16

My surgeon advertises the sleeve for $11,700. He's in the Houston TX area. I used my insurance so I never asked him about it.

http://www.dralanis.com/en-us/

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

frisco
on 9/30/16 2:22 pm

We all need to live within our means... I get that.

The thing you need to know is that all VSG's are NOT created equal as it is a non-standardized procedure.

Finding a surgeon that matches your intentions helps greatly.

Many programs shoot for 50-60% EWL as successful...... That means if your 300lbs. and want to lose 150lbs. your probably going to lose 75lbs. if you fall within that average. If your good with that, your fine..... you have matched intentions.

Also surgeons have different complication rates.

Aftercare/education is very important and that varies from zero to very comprehensive.

Price per performance should be the criteria, especially in a self pay situation.

*** Ultimately it's up to the individual. A person that goes to a surgeon that has a high success rate can fail or a person that goes to a surgeon with a less effective procedure can lose 100% EW. Also it's possible for someone to lose all the EW with no WLS.

Here is the visual, if your short in one area, you must make it up in another.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

jrog22
on 10/2/16 6:10 am
VSG on 08/20/16

I paid $16,050 last week in Louisville, KY out of pocket.  Could I have done it for less?  Of course.  There are the options in Mexico that are low cost.  There were another 4-5 surgeons in my area that could have done it for $12k or so.  I chose Dr John Oldham because he was the only Center of Excellence in the area that offers BLIS Insurance coverage.  He also is a great surgeon, excellent bedside manners, and took the time to explain everything in terms you can understand.

Since my insurance did not cover the surgery, they also won't cover any post-op complications that may arise.  That is where the BLIS coverage comes into play.  It was worth the extra few grand to me.  It removed the possibility of a post-op complication bankrupting me if something bad happened.

I would only use a BLIS certified Center of Excellence.  My 2 cents.

HW 450, CW 358 (November 26, 2016) Surgery Date 9/26/2016

ttrahan1973
on 10/2/16 2:43 pm
VSG on 06/20/16

$9800.00 in louisiana.

Most Active