Sleeved on 9/27 and Feeling Good!

Terry G.
on 9/30/16 9:40 am, edited 10/2/16 3:39 pm

I was sleeved on 9/27 and came home yesterday on 9/29.  The sleep last night was good, as was that first shower at home.  It was nice to get clean and crawl into bed.  I didn't sleep through the night.  I did get up and walk around the house some and sipped some water.

The first couple of days after surgery in the hospital weren't too bad for me.  I attribute this to a few things.  First, my doctor did a pre-op nerve block in the stomach about 30 mins before surgery that's supposed to last 2-3 days.  I think it made a big difference because I haven't needed any pain meds.  Next, I got to my room around 6:30pm after surgery and I was walking at 11pm.  I made the nurse get me out of bed and start walking.  Then the next day after my GI test that showed no leaks, I started to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.

The only complication I had was my gallbladder removal.  During pre-op testing, an ultrasound showed I had gallstones and my surgeon suggested he take out the gallbladder when he did the sleeve surgery.  A two for one, if you will.  I agreed.  Well, when he got in there, he found my gallbladder to be 3-4 times the size it should be and FULL of gallstones.  This thing was BIG.  How I was walking around with that thing and not sick because of it, I don't know.  In order to remove it, he had to make a bigger incision than expected.  He made a 2" wide incision and I can definitely feel it, but it doesn't hurt - I'm just sore when I sit up.  The actual port incisions I wouldn't even know they're there.

A couple of things of note (and forgive my openness/grossness, but hey, I'm not the only one to go thru this stuff) :

• My first bowel movement after surgery was quite embarassing because it happened when I was asleep.  I woke up to go pee and felt the mess.  This was definitely a first, but the nurses couldn't have been nicer about it.  You're going to have diarrhea for a few days, at least, after surgery.  You've got a lot going on to your body, drugs getting pumped into it, liquids only, etc.  You'll learn the difference between a simple fart and needing to go sit on the toilet.
  • I'm still having a little uncomfortable gas pain.  It's going away today, I can tell, but every now and again after I sip, I feel it.
  • Use your incentive spirometer breathing thingy!  It will help open up your lungs and help keep penumonia away.  Take it home from the hospital.  I'm keeping mine next to my bed.

I have my follow-up next week.  I'm very excited about what's to come.

rachelp
on 9/30/16 10:05 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Congrats and welcome to the losers bench! I'm glad everything went well. You will recover in no time!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

AMAZEBALLS
on 9/30/16 12:02 pm - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Congrats! Hope things keep going well for you

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 9/30/16 6:24 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Congrats! I was sleeved on Sept 12 so I'm only about 2 weeks ahead of you. I too got up the first night and walked. I walked that hallway several times a day just to keep moving. Hopefully the gas pain will get better in a few days.

KansasPrincess
on 10/1/16 5:39 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

my favorite part...   You'll learn the difference between a simple fart and needing to go sit on the toilet. ... you definitely will!!! and QUICKLY too!

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Secrets224
on 10/1/16 7:07 am
VSG on 09/27/16

So Glad to hear you're doing good. I feel a lot less sore as well and finally had a bowel movement this morning. Last one was on the morning of the surgery on 9/27. I am doing good getting my protein shakes in, water and POWERade Zero,  also sugar free ice pops (homemade)  but I'm not interested in anything else. The smell of broth is kind of turning my stomach and jello just isn't doing it for me. Also unpleasant. So I'm sticking with what works until I progress to the next diet step. I just don't want to be wretching due to the smell or taste of something. No thanks! Keep up the good work! 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*

Tapethis
on 10/3/16 1:01 pm - Vernon, NJ

Wow!!! What to expect when being sleeved! Thanks for the chuckle..with my stupid broken (2x) lap bands, the meds make me NOT have to go to the bathroom for a long time. I am thankful for the information of the blocker though, that will be something I will ask about when I have my surgery. Glad you are recovering great!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views