Bored with Protein and other maintenance quandaries

brownblonde
on 10/5/16 3:53 pm

Hi all.  I'm over 6 years post op.  I want to continue to keep my weight in check (or even take off a few more).  I've probably been more liberal with my carb intake than most.  Nothing is off-limits in my maintenance plan.  But I've always been good about putting protein first.  Until recently.  I'm just so friggin uninterested and uninspired with protein.  I love food and cooking.  But it just feels like my options are so limited with protein.  Especially at breakfast.  Any tips/cookbooks/websites to get out of this rut?

This brings me to a second point:  Do you eat foods you don't like?  I did this pre-WLS.  And even in the initial phases after WLS.  But finally I arrived at the conclusion that it was NUTS to spend calories on things I didn't like.  Life's too short, pouch is too small.  I've been totally done with protein shakes and protein bars for years.  I practically have a gag reflex to the shakes now after so many.  And most recently when I had one I think I had a weird stomach reaction--I'm lactose intolerant.  I don't necessarily dislike protein bars, but I'd rather eat candy or real protein than the artificial gunk.  Should I rethink this?  Any hints on stomach-friendly protein powder? 

And finally this leads to a last point--what about eating when not hungry?  At first blu**** may seem totally contrary to everything we did, right?  I mean if you're gonna eat when you're not hungry, then who cares about taking away hunger.  But here's the thing:  I make better choices when I don't wait to eat until I'm hungry.  When I'm hungry, I cannot be trusted.  On the other hand, if I eat before I get hungry--maybe I was never gonna get hungry?  And there's something about the idea of eating when not hungry.

Anyway, these are just some adjustments I am having to make.  I'm curious if anyone else has thought this way.

roxytrim
on 10/5/16 4:07 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I really like the questions you pose, especially the comment about staving off hunger - what if I don't?

I'm in the same protien rut, but am putting it down to the idea that food is fuel anyway so meh, just eat my 3-4 oz. per meal.

NYMom222
on 10/5/16 4:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

These are hard questions... I am only in year 3 and trying to figure out maintenance. I had stopped using any kind of artificial sweetener pre-WLS. What was the point, it did nothing to help weight loss at that point. Now I do use artificial sweeteners...took me a long time to find something I could tolerate, but in the long run I think it is worth it...

We all get into food ruts. I go on the daily menu board on the RNY forum, and get great ideas from what other people are eating. 2 blogs I love for recipes that are not WLS- just healthy are http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ and http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

I use Fairlife Milk which is higher protein and lactose free. 100% Whey protein isolate is lactose free as well.

Recently discovered Syntrax protein powders that are 100% Whey Protein Isolate. Chocolate truffle is good mixed in yogurt, and Fuzzy Navel is amazing if you like orange. Tastes like orangeade when mixed with water. 100 calories and 23g protein. I mix one scoop orange with 32 oz water and a little extra sweetener- have been loving it. Bought the cappuccino but haven't tried it yet.

I haven't totally figured out the eating when not hungry.... I am fine with liquids in the morning, and purposely make myself a large latte with one cup of the fairlife milk to get some calories and protein in to start the day. Once I start eating solid food-noonish ....I need to eat at regular intervals. If I get too hungry I start picking while I am cooking. Always helps top have a plan. Our hunger thermostats are off... so we can't always rely on hunger- both to start or stop eating.

Sometimes I find something I am really enjoying food-wise and sometimes it is just food. When I stop at 7-11 and buy 2 hard boiled eggs I promise you it is just food...

Just some thoughts.... still trying to figure this out myself. Interested to see other answers...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cappy11448
on 10/5/16 5:42 pm

I found I had to cook lots of interesting foods or I'd give in to the temptations to have unhealthy foods.  It really helps to say, "No, you can't have that pizza, but you can have buffalo chicken, or pizza casserole, or enchilada casserole, or chicken and broccoli." 

Ironically,  I cook more now that I eat so little than I ever did when I was 385 pounds.  It takes effort to eat healthy.  For example, right now I have crack slaw, chicken and broccoli casserole, Dijon lime chicken, harvest chicken salad, and salmon in the refrigerator.  So I always have something interesting to eat when I get hungry.  This works for me.

I had lunch at a local restaurant and I had a pecan-crusted chicken breast that was delightful.  So I'll be searching the internet to find a similar recipe that I can add to my stock of recipes. 

Lately, I've been struggling with late night hunger, and eating extra snacks, so its not like I have all the answers.  Its good to have a forum to share the struggles and challenges of managing our obesity.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

cappy11448
on 10/6/16 2:08 pm

Thank you for the links.  They both sound great.  I'll probably try the second one first, as I have a bag of almond flour that I bought some time ago and never used.  It'll be nice to give it a try.

Have you tried either of these?

thanks,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

michellemj
on 10/5/16 7:35 pm

I've gotten creative with protein, and I add a bit more veggies.

One thing that helps is to plan. I tend to make one large batch of soup/casserole on Sunday and portion it out for lunch all week.

I also go for easy protein:

tuna with homemade mayo. Eat with cucumbers.

riced cauliflower with shredded chicken and buffalo sauce

Both of these I can throw together in minutes, even if I'm hangry.

and for dinner: we turn to other proteins: steak, pork, lamb. and serve with some sort of side (brussels, kale, asparagus are the most common ones. If I want some carbs, we do sweet potatoes).

ttfan
on 10/6/16 3:22 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I am new at all of this, but as far as breakfast is concerned I don't normally eat normal breakfast food, my favorite breakfast is probably a chicken stir fry, and I spice it up with sriracha sauce!  Since surgery I can't eat enough spicey stuff...lol

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

mmsmom
on 10/6/16 5:12 am - Woburn, MA

I also find breakfast difficult - i go through periods where eggs do not digest well for me.  Also, I have had roughly 1 shake since surgery - and cannot bear the thoughts of another one.  I get my protein from yogurt, chicken, cheese, beef, whatever just in small portions.  Usually hit 60 grams in a day most of the time. I don't think I ever actually get real hunger, it's more boredom coming into play or just wanting the taste of certain foods.  When I am busy or distracted, I don't even think about eating... now I just need to keep busy, lol.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views