24hour ph test showing no acid reflux? Resleeve but he uses a size 40boogie

asapgerard1984
on 10/13/16 11:36 am

So i had a asophagiel mamomrtry test and a 24hour ph test.  The asophagues one showed there is some issues with my asophagus and the ph didnt show acid reflux.  I know i feel burning inside me and it is irritated when they went in to look.  Now becuase of this the doctor wants to just resleeve and I have no problem with that but he uses a size 40boogie isnt that big?  Ive been sleeved once and if I redo it Im not going for a rnd 3.  What else could be this burning feeling if not acid reflux? He is afraid if I get the bypass ill lose to much im 220 now guys 6ft. I like about the sleeve is have pilora valve thats the only thing i dont like a about the bypass and its seems like alot of them gain it back.  He said it looks like the original doctor took half my stomach what do I do guys fix the hernia and resleeve or push for rny???  This is the onnly place i get good answer alot of groups on fb are useless HELLPPPP

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/13/16 12:13 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On October 13, 2016 at 6:36 PM Pacific Time, asapgerard1984 wrote:

So i had a asophagiel mamomrtry test and a 24hour ph test.  The asophagues one showed there is some issues with my asophagus and the ph didnt show acid reflux.  I know i feel burning inside me and it is irritated when they went in to look.  Now becuase of this the doctor wants to just resleeve and I have no problem with that but he uses a size 40boogie isnt that big?  Ive been sleeved once and if I redo it Im not going for a rnd 3.  What else could be this burning feeling if not acid reflux? He is afraid if I get the bypass ill lose to much im 220 now guys 6ft. I like about the sleeve is have pilora valve thats the only thing i dont like a about the bypass and its seems like alot of them gain it back.  He said it looks like the original doctor took half my stomach what do I do guys fix the hernia and resleeve or push for rny???  This is the onnly place i get good answer alot of groups on fb are useless HELLPPPP

Did you ask the doctor what the burning feeling is if not acid reflux?  What was his response?

Several people who have had the sleeve had had revisions due to acid reflux.  You're not going to lose too much weight if you revise.  If he is telling you that, I would seek an opinion from a different bariatric surgeon.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

asapgerard1984
on 10/13/16 12:38 pm

he said i have spasm of the asophagus and wants me on some medicaiton called procadira or something he said its not acid. Its that becuase the ph test came back not terrible. I know what i feel.  I dont know what to do anymore im so tired and burnt out from all these test and different docotros i thought today was going to be the end and find out what he wants to do and yet no.  Im so depressed from all this its taking a toll on my home life.  I just dont know what to do anymore im starting to give up and decide im goign to have to just live with a botched sleeve and these issues whatever they are.  I was hoping at bare minum to have my sleeve done correct becuase from day one i never got the benifit since my doctor messed mine up...

on 10/13/16 1:24 pm, edited 10/13/16 6:25 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On October 13, 2016 at 7:38 PM Pacific Time, asapgerard1984 wrote:

he said i have spasm of the asophagus and wants me on some medicaiton called procadira or something he said its not acid. Its that becuase the ph test came back not terrible. I know what i feel.  I dont know what to do anymore im so tired and burnt out from all these test and different docotros i thought today was going to be the end and find out what he wants to do and yet no.  Im so depressed from all this its taking a toll on my home life.  I just dont know what to do anymore im starting to give up and decide im goign to have to just live with a botched sleeve and these issues whatever they are.  I was hoping at bare minum to have my sleeve done correct becuase from day one i never got the benifit since my doctor messed mine up...

I tried googling "procadira," but nothing came up.

A piece of advice.  Take it or leave it.  We have to be our own best health care advocates.  That means taking the time to collect all information about our health history and records and learn what it means.   No one else cares about your health as much as you should.  Self-pity won't result in any answers or solutions.  I learned this lesson when I was diagnosed with cancer.  I did endless research to find out everything I could.  

Although OH is a great resource, it is not a substitute for taking responsibility and doing some research about your condition.  I'm sorry that you don't feel that things are going your way, but unfortunately that's the reality of life, and often with WLS.  There's no guarantee.  If you perform due diligence and learn everything you can, it gives you more insight as to what's going on with your body.  

I don't know, but perhaps a spasm of the esophagus mimics acid reflux.  Although you may "feel" that it's acid reflex, the tests that you recently had do not confirm it.  Having another surgery may not fix your problem.  Medicine isn't an exact science.  It's a process of elimination in many cases.  

Joshua H.
on 10/13/16 3:31 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

nifedipine/Procardia is my guess.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/13/16 12:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

We are not medical experts. If you don't like (or don't understand) what this doctor is telling you, get a second opinion from another surgeon.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 10/13/16 12:57 pm, edited 10/13/16 5:58 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ehh, I think bariatric patients make more of boogie sizes than that they actually matter.  Several factors go into sleeve size.  For instance, how close the stapler is to the bougie, how long the stomach is, surgeon skill, etc.  I think there isn't even a millimeter of difference between each bougie size, if that.  Studies show that the differences don't matter much in the short term, either.  Long term, I'm unsure.

Having said that, I am now running the acid reflux gauntlet, heh.  After talking to many professionals, RNY patients, and DS patients, I don't know that there is huge weight loss post-op with the RNY as a revision if you're already close to goal.  I'd argue it's far easier to gain weight than keep losing it.  Much of that depends on habit and user compliance, so to speak.

Really, we can't offer medical advice in detail, though.  What to do depends on the surgeon and your complicated test results.  Did you have an endoscopy?  Does your surgeon want to do an endoscopy?  Why or why not?  How large is the hernia?  Why would the surgeon revise or redo the surgery rather than just repairing the hernia?  What could alternative diagnoses be other than GERD?  

It's not the internet being unspecific.  Rather, these are questions only the surgeon can answer.  If you find the surgeon unsatisfactory, it's worthwhile to get a second opinion at a bariatric center of excellence and/or a major university surgical center.  They do far more of our operations by volume than smaller practices, typically, which means they have more experience and research available.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/13/16 2:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Careful what you say, you'll have Frisco on your case if you DARE suggest you can succeed with a large bougie ;)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 10/13/16 2:56 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Because, yanno, with men, size matters.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/13/16 3:07 pm

Image result for size matters meme

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active