I swallowed my pride and contacted my doctor... over 5 years out and dealing with regain

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 8:23 am

Hi, everyone -

I took a step today at getting my heath back in order.  I e-mailed my surgeon (or, rather, my surgeon's weight loss center) and said I needed help.  I kind of feels like outing myself.  I was coasting along these past 3 or 4 years without contacting their office - with them probably assuming I was doing great.  Well, I'm not doing so great. 

I did pretty well with the sleeve.  I'm still so grateful that I had it done, and it was the best decision I ever made for my health.  I was sleeved over 5 years ago, lost well over 100 pounds (about 140 or 150, I don't remember exact number).  I even had plastics to remove excess skin.  Yea!!  I don't regret the plastics either, because they have still greatly benefited me even with the weight gain.  

But since that time, I've regained about 40 pounds.   So I'm still about 100 pounds lost from top weight, but I can really really feel those extra 40!    I regained for several reasons.  Some are medical (I was blessed with a baby - yes, I got pregnant soon after plastics.  Baby is a sweet and happy 2 year old now! Tummy tuck held together very nicely even in the pregnancy - I'm told i'm still tight under all this fat- haha!)  I also lost my thyroid due to cancer (no worries, it's not a "scary" cancer, mind you, it was/is very treatable... but still, no thyroid now and so that causes some hormonal shenanigans. It's hard to get my levels just right, it seems.) 

OK, let me be honest...the baby and thyroid cancer... those aren't the real reasons I regained.  Food is the reason I regained. The truth is that I'm grazing.  GRAZING like crazy.  I make unhealthy choices.  

My sleeve still works. I don't think I necessarily have stretched it out.  I still get full really quickly (especially with healthy foods, high protein food and fresh fruits and veggies fill me up very fast).  But I graze.  Small amounts of food all day long add up.  

I'm trying to get back into the healthy mindset that allowed me to lose weight the begin with - before I got distracted with the joys of our third precious child joining our family and the distraction of unexpected medical issues. I hope to read and post in this community more regularly to help me get back into that "right" weight loss and maintenance mindset.  I need encouragement and accountability.

(And, also, if I'm reading or posting here I am not eating.) 

So... we will see my my doctor's office says.  I'm hoping to maybe meet with a dietician or even with the surgeon and get serious about getting these 40 pounds back off. 

Thanks for reading. 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 8:25 am

Opps - I  just realized I said I was sleeved over 5 years ago, but then saw in my signature that I was sleeved December 2011.  Yeah... see, my mind is not in the game!!  It will be five years this December! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

AMAZEBALLS
on 10/14/16 9:04 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Good on you to realize you were off the path and contacted your surgeon's office. I wish you much luck on your continued journey!

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 12:38 pm

Thanks for your supportive words!! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

White Dove
on 10/14/16 9:18 am - Warren, OH

At least 99.9% of us have regain.  The only way to get it off is cutting calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 12:36 pm

I'm not moving enough either... but, yes, getting the food under control is going to be the most important part of this. 

I guess I expected a little regain, as I know it is common.  I didn't expect 40 lbs, though.  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

White Dove
on 10/14/16 12:44 pm - Warren, OH

A "normal" regain would be to lose 100 pounds and gain back 20.  If you lost 150, then 30 would be reasonable regain expectation.  Having a baby raised those odds.

Whatever caused the regain, cutting calories will get it off.  Moving will make you feel better, but won't do anything for the regain.

I find after surgery that I regain very quickly and lose a pound a week by staying at 900 calories a day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/14/16 10:30 am

At one time I regained app 30lbs. I lost thst by getting serious and recommiting to WLS type diet.. Proteins proteins..some fat and little carbs... I am back to a goal weight.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/14/16 12:37 pm

Thanks for sharing that!  I'm wondering if I should even go back to incorporating shakes again.  I'm going to wait and see what my doctor's office recommends.  In the meantime, I'm getting back into the habit of tracking.  

Holy cow I eat too much!  (At least the problem is identified, I guess.) 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/14/16 1:50 pm

I only drink protein a shakes when I can't get enough calories - food in me. Dense proteins...meat -eggs - fish... avocado and olives...nuts (limited) as a reward... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active