VSG versus RNY

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/16 12:25 pm

Hello everyone!!  

What are some of the reasons that you chose VSG over RNY or other weight loss avenues? 

Did you have any serious complications with VSG or regret VSG surgery decision? 

I'm about a month away from VSG. 

Thank you!! 

Renren
on 10/17/16 12:57 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I had vsg because I was a little afraid of having everything rerouted. It just looked easier, but if vsg had not been possible for me I would have had rny. Both surgerys are very successful. I've done well with my surgery and I'm trying to learn maintenance now. Best wishes 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 5:51 am

Renren, 

Thank you!!  I feel the same way about the re-routing of the intestines.  You have done amazingly well in less than a year!!!  Good for you!!!  You must be so proud!!  Good luck with maintenance!!  I hope I can count on you for feedback with any future questions.  I'm sure I will have many especially after surgery!!  

Did you have any complications?  Did everything go smoothly?  What has been the hardest part for you in your journey? 

Renren
on 10/18/16 8:14 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I didn't have major complications but I left for home without an acid blocker, so the first week I could barely swallow water. It felt like I was pouring water on a balloon in my stomach. I looked at my paperwork and my Dr. wanted them to give me the rx, but it somehow got overlooked. I was also left on a medication that I no longer needed and my blood sugar dropped really low on the 8th day. After that everything has went well.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 8:31 am

Oh no, you poor thing!!! So glad it got rectified and you are doing great!! I'm sure I will be talking to you again soon.  

rachelp
on 10/17/16 1:09 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I had the VSG because I didn't want anything done to my intestines or the malabsorption. I have not had any complications, hardly any pain or fatigue, never any nausea, not one single issue with any food. I feel fantastic and happy with what I chose. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 5:54 am

Rachelp, 

Me too, and I worry about the malabsorption as well, since I already take iron, being abit low already.  

Wow, that's amazing that your journey has been so smooth!! Congratulations!!  I so hope I have the same type of journey, problem free!!  

rachelp
on 10/18/16 6:53 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Thank you! Start working on your body now. Stay hydrated, take your vitamins, and start eating healthy, walking and exercising if you aren't already. It makes the bounce back so much quicker I think. I never stopped. I was walking as much as possible in the hospital and even running errands the day after I got out.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 7:10 am

Rachelp,

Yes, I'm always drinking water balls throughout the day and my meds/vitamins are in a doucette ready for each day.  The weather is cooperating, walking a lot and trying to increase my exercise.  

Wow, you were very well conditioned and bounced back fast after surgery!!  That's fantastic!!!  ð?'

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 7:11 am

Water bottles!!  This autocorrect!!!!  LOL.  Geez! 

Most Active