Quick Surgery Date

jpc2va
on 10/19/16 8:12 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Found out Mon. that my VSG is scheduled for next Tues. 25th.  If I want my surgeon to perform as the local hospital is shutting down their bariatric program.  I will be the last to have this type of surgery with my Doc  at this hospital.  Though I've been in the program since May it's sudden and has had my head spinning/

I was initially going to wait until Feb. of 2017 to make final decision of having surgery.  In last 90 days I have walked over 400 miles, competed in a 5k, and eaten a 1500-2000 calorie diet and consequently lost thirty pounds and my BMI dropped from 35 to 32.  My a1c is 5.1 and BG as drawn by the Lab was 76.  At my height a weight of 199 is a BMI of 29 -- not Obese!  That was my goal -- if I'm not classified as obese then no point of having this metabolic operation.

My initial approach to VSG was solely for help with the remission of diabetes.  I was diagnosed Halloween 2014 as I was admitted into the hospital with a1c of 13.5 (which was highest their test would signal) and BG of 513.  All men on my Dad's side have died horrible deaths from the complications of uncontrolled diabetes.  This will not be my fate.  Come hell or high water.  This will not be my fate.

I obviously have a rather tight control of the diabetes currently, so why have the surgery?  I have tight control because of a dedicated 5 mile a day walking plan and healthy eating habits.  At 55 I am proud of this fact.  But I got here (obese) for a reason so that is a consideration to factor.

My question, rhetorically, is what will the picture be when I'm 60, 65, or beyond?  I haven't been this active since I was 21 and trying to impress a certain Tulsa girl.  What is the likely hood of this activity continuing for 20 years?  With the surgery it will be a tool to assist with the continuation of my current lifestyle.

Some say I'm rushing into this decision because of the fear of losing my surgeon.  I say the surgeon and the experience/skill level make all the difference. Absolutely all the difference.  This from a fair knowledge of six surgeons.

With a cormobidity of diabetes and a starting BMI of 35.175 I qualified through my insurance.  I sure as heck don't want to get big in the future just to qualify for insurance so it seems that now is the time.  Especially in my trust for my surgeon.  In June he did a refix of a refix of a hernia operation.  Best surgeon to date.  I've had six major surgeries for non weight related issues.

I knew my surgeons 'last date' of surgery was looming but have had a shorten span to get ready for the actual surgery.  I found out Mon that next Tues is the date.

So here's to good results and a healthy life as I start down this new path of the wild journey I'm living called life.  Remember to always play it in G demolished!  Peace  JP

*if ya gotta ask then you'll never know

Grim_Traveller
on 10/20/16 3:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Good luck!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 10/20/16 7:41 am - Warren, OH

Be happy that fate intervened and made this decision for you.  The longer you wait the weaker the pancreas gets.  Wait too long and the surgery will not help the diabetes.  Good luck with everything.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active