Question for Sleevers

MTS31801
on 10/20/16 8:06 am

I am in the process of doing my six months of insurance qualifications for surgery. I am trying to decide whether to get the Sleeve or the Bypass.  I just recently read that Bypass patients need to be aware that they may come down with internal hernia's in the future due to intestinal reconstruction. This scares me. I have over 200 lbs. to lose, and want to know if there are any sleevers out there that have lost this much weight and have kept it off. And how long did it take you to lose the weight!  I know the weight comes off quicker with the bypass. Thanks for all your input! 

Gwen M.
on 10/20/16 9:13 am, edited 10/20/16 2:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There are few statistically relevant differences between weight loss with the sleeve and with the bypass.  

I've lost about 150 of the 200 pounds I want to lose.  I had a setback in the second year post-up, but have started losing steadily again.  There are a number of people who post(ed) in the forums who have lost great amounts of weight with VSG.  It's just a matter of figuring out what's going on and using the post-op period to create a new and sustainable permanent lifestyle.  If you're willing to do the work that takes, you'll get there regardless of the specific surgery.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/20/16 9:37 am

Yes, you can lose 200 pounds with the sleeve... but it will be a challenge.

Yes, you can lose 200 pounds with the RNY... but it will be a challenge.

I'm not trying to be frustrating, because you are asking very good and reasonable questions... but I don't think your weight alone is enough information to make a determination.  You can have success with either surgery.   Generally, I tend to think "less" surgery is better (which is part of why I picked the sleeve) but there are many patients that are better served by the RNY.  Patients with GERD, patients with diabetes, etc.   

What does your surgeon recommend?  He or she has a more complete picture of your medical situation and would be in a better position to make a recommendation. 

Have you looked into the DS?  I don't know how common that is nowadays, but back 5 years ago when I was researching operations it was really touted as being superior for those with large amounts of weight to lose.  It has a sleeve for a stomach (instead of a pouch like the RNY) and then intestinal re-routing for malabsorption.  It wasn't commonly preformed, so if it is the right surgery for you you would need to seek out a surgeon with experience.   There is a DS board here too that could likely help you in finding a good surgeon.

Good luck to you.  No matter what WLS tool you decide to utilize, you can have great success if you are fully committed to a huge life overhaul.  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/20/16 9:42 am

I wish there were edit buttons here!  I forgot to tell you that I lost about 150 lbs (yea!!) with the sleeve, but then I gained back 40 (boo!).  

I think that, yes, you could lose 200 lbs with the sleeve alone.  And if you are considering the DS, the sleeve could easily be converted later if you'd need revision (but hopefully you wouldn't.  It's more effective to choose the right surgery the first time!)

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/16 6:01 pm

You can edit your posts. Click on the more button below your post and the button for editing will appear. 

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/20/16 8:06 pm

Thank you so much!!! I should have seen that. Thank you thank you thank you!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

Donna L.
on 10/20/16 12:50 pm, edited 10/20/16 5:54 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It is true that the bypass has more complications.  It also has malabsorption which gives you a "kick start."  It also has superior resolution for diabetes, as well as less of an issue with GERD.  The sleeve can cause GERD and does not always immediately cure diabetes.

I chose the VSG because I actually wanted the DS down the road which I was unable to get it at the time due to my health.  I have lost about 130 pounds in 14 months.  It's very possible to lose 200lbs with either.  Many people have lost far more than I have who started at my weight.  I'm going to be blunt: my slow weight loss is 100% due to behavior right now.  I am stressed, have major depression, and binge eating disorder.  I'm studying for licensure and getting my professional stuff going which has be working 70 hours a week.  It is tedious and hard, and I often unconsciously turn to food.  As with all things, I continue to make progress.  But, my point is, a lot of weight loss has zip-o to do with your surgery.

Frankly, any of the surgeries can work.  The VSG does require more diligence than the DS in some respects, as there is no malabsorption.  I've read hundreds of studies, and the DS does have the best EWL of all surgeries.  It also compensates for behavior very well, in addition to having a very physiologically strong alteration.  If you have the VSG and start eating things regularly like pizza, fried food, etc, you will stall and not lose 200 pounds.  It sounds obvious, however 14 months out when you can eat comfortably and your stomach holds more, that's when you have to be very diligent with yourself.

Any surgery will fail regardless if you don't follow your plan.  I've seen people that have lost 200+ with the VSG, RNY, and DS.  I've also seen people with all three surgeries regain, though it is the least likely with the DS of the three.  Still, even with the DS, the gold standard, it can may not last if you do not follow the protocol.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/20/16 1:37 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yes you can lose 200lbs & more with the sleeve, but it takes work, just like it takes work with the rny & the ds. A better question to ask yourself is what surgery will be good for you. There are pros & cons with each surgery & you can eat around any surgery, even the ds. If you have diabetes it can be resolved with the vsg, but it doesn't resolve for everyone & there are other factors to consider as to why it might not resolve, or really put itself into remission cuz no wls "cures" diabetes.

Yes the malabsorption surgeries like the DS & the RNY gives you a bit of a "kickstart" to get to goal maybe faster than those with a restriction only type of procedure, but for the rny the malabsorption of calories will end at some point, then it'll be all on you to keep your weight off, & if you eat around your surgery or have a problem keeping sugar/refined carbs to a minimum, the DS won't help you either. Remember you'll malabsorb nutrients for life with the DS & RNY so you'll have to keep up with your vitamins, labs & track trends for life. Easy to do in the beginning, not so much years down the road, when the real work kicks in.

Good Luck in whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 10/20/16 4:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The odds of getting a hernia with VSG and RNY are the same. It has more to do with massive weight loss than the surgery itself.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active