I'm new with so many questions.

Spookie
on 10/21/16 12:01 am

Hi everyone . I just randomly found this forum after trying to get information about the  vertical sleeve surgery. I currently have an HMO plan but doubt it would cover. can anyone recommend a doctor in California or anywhere actually that will allow me to do payments. from what I have seen and read a sleeve costs around 15k to 20k? also any websites with more information. thanks in advance , I would really appreciate your help . 

Gwen M.
on 10/21/16 7:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that your first step should be calling your insurance company to find out if they do cover it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/16 8:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to ask about coverage, or see if you can find a copy of your benefit book. That will give you information on your coverage, which is a good place to start.

As far as general info goes, I recommend the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." It gives a great overview of the procedure and post-op life.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

AK_Gipson
on 10/21/16 8:52 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I agree, I looked online for in network doctors that did the surgeries. Read exactly what the insurance co required to qualify. Then I met with a couple of different surgeons to see what all they required (which can be more than insurance does) and honestly which Doctor I liked the best.

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Donna L.
on 10/21/16 10:34 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My HMO covers the DS, the VSG, the RNY, and the lapband, as well as certain types of skin removal post-operatively.  As people mentioned, call your insurance company.  You can also access the provider benefits online too, but they are typically more irksome to wade through.  There are also ways to petition insurance to provide medically necessary coverage even if it is not covered, but that is much more annoying to do, and is often very stressful and difficult.  However, even if it's not covered, it might be worth exploring if that is an option.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

chanteuse1
on 10/21/16 11:32 am - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

I would add two things to what others have said. 1) Many on this forum have traveled to Mexico for their surgeries, which typically saves them thousands of dollars. There is a ton of info out there on places and doctors that do this surgery.  2) Many doctors in my town now give significant discounts to folks who self-pay, because dealing with insurance is sometimes problematic for medical providers, too. I'm not sure if surgeons do this, but I know of at least two primary care docs (in this case, internal medicine folks), who do.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views