Life changing event and a little weight gain

kyzze
on 11/12/16 9:18 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Due to unfortunate cir****tances, I suddenly have custody of 5 of my grandchildren. Everything is all crazy but I am trying to manage. My family is helping me a lot but due to the cir****tances, I immediately began stress eating and in the last 2 weeks I have only found time to work out once. I have gained about 5 pounds. I am slowly trying to work a schedule to get everything back into perspective, just disappointed about how easy it was to slip back into bad habits.  I'm a little scared, not freaking out but just kind of sad. Thinking about making appointment with dietitian for help. Need some encouraging words of support. 

Kyzze

Rachel B.
on 11/12/16 10:23 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

You got this!!!  It's just a bump.  Once you get those grand babies settled in, you can introduce them to healthy living.  It's wonderful that you have support.  And you have this board.  We're all here to support each other.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

kyzze
on 11/12/16 11:23 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks

Kyzze

Wyldblu
on 11/12/16 11:47 pm

Ah, life throws us curves...some much sharper than others. However, now is the perfect time to show your grandkids that even with hardships, you can stay on track to keep yourself healthy and do what's right for yourself. Now is the time to take care of you first. If you don't, you won't be there 100% for them. Show them the strength you have to move though the changes and still come out on top. You have an opportunity to show them your strength, help them develop their own and teach them healthy eating habits at the same time! YOU GOT THIS!

Wyldblu

kyzze
on 11/13/16 2:01 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Very encouraging, thank you!

Kyzze

alouisa63
on 11/13/16 5:00 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

No matter what the unfortunate cir****tances were, those kids are blessed to have you.  You got this!    

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

AK_Gipson
on 11/13/16 5:33 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Check to see if you gym offers childcare. If not you may need to change to one that does. Not sure how old your grandkids are but each gym has an age limit. At planet fitness 13 and above can work out with you, depending on your membership. The YMCA has several programs for kids and childcare.

As for dinners I make a meat and veggie for all of us, then add a carb side for them. That way I'm not making separate meals. I just don't eat the Mac n cheese, rice, whatever. 

With a busy schedule and family, break out the crockpot :) 

Just remember you don't have to comfort them with food (sweets) comfort them with love. 

Good luck! 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Laura in Texas
on 11/13/16 5:58 am

What a blessing that you are able to help your grandchildren in their time of need. Yes, that would be a huge adjustment for anyone. It is perfectly understandable that you turned to food for comfort. Think of other things to do when the urge to eat hits. Taking a walk, maybe? Forgive yourself for the 5 pounds and make a plan to lose them. You can do this!!

Enjoy this time with your grandkids.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

diane S.
on 11/13/16 11:08 am

Wow, what a big responsibility! Crazy may become the new normal. Why not find some sports you can play with the kids.  Even dancing around the living room is good for all ages. Take the opportunity to teach the kids about healthy eating too. GL.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

kyzze
on 11/13/16 9:22 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Good idea. They love to play Just Dance! Thanks

Kyzze

Most Active