Why am I not feeling "full"?

LisaV_SG
on 12/7/16 2:43 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

me again guys :) ok so I'm now 6 days post op... and something just kind of dawned on me... I don't feel full from liquids? Are they supposed to be making me full? Kinda freaking out! Cause I feel like I just literally sip all day and nothing has ever messaged me to my brain that I am "full". Here I am trying to sip often to get my liquids in (broth, propel, protein shake) all day and not even realizing if I'm full because I'm so focused on making sure to get all my liquids. Help :( am I doing something wrong? Still on phase 1. Thanks in advanced 

Joshua H.
on 12/7/16 2:52 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

I don't feel full from liquids -- haven't since day 1 (I'm 6 weeks out).  My surgeon said that's just the way it works for some people.

Once I moved on to pureed foods, I definitely know what full feels like.  Feels like what I imagine a heart attack feels like.  For me.  I go from comfortable, to mildly uncomfortable for a few moments, to crushing pressure in my chest.

Hang in there...it gets....better?

I do, however, find that drinking liquid curbs my head/abdomen hunger.  I still think I don't really get hungry yet.  At least not that I recognize.

LisaV_SG
on 12/7/16 3:07 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Oh yay, I get the feeling of a heart attack to look forward to!  Well at least that calmed me down a little bit knowing I'm not the only one. Maybe I'm just so used to huge meals like I can't even imagine getting full off of broth? Idk? I feel like content I guess per say, but not full. Thanks for your input and hopefully the chest pains eventually go away for you!

hollykim
on 12/8/16 8:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2016 at 11:07 PM Pacific Time, LisaV_SG wrote:

Oh yay, I get the feeling of a heart attack to look forward to!  Well at least that calmed me down a little bit knowing I'm not the only one. Maybe I'm just so used to huge meals like I can't even imagine getting full off of broth? Idk? I feel like content I guess per say, but not full. Thanks for your input and hopefully the chest pains eventually go away for you!

you won't feel like you are having a heart attack if you measure and only eat what is measured. Overeating causes heart artack feeling

Joshua H.
on 12/9/16 6:23 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Actually, I have done this.  I've been slowly increasing (at my surgeon's direction) the amount I'm eating.  The first time I hit the "ouch" point was w/3.0 oz of beans (I use a digital scale accurate to 1/20th of an ounce).  So it's possible to do while measuring.  As you point out, it's also very possible (and easier) to do by not measuring.

hollykim
on 12/9/16 7:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 9, 2016 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, Joshua H. wrote:

Actually, I have done this.  I've been slowly increasing (at my surgeon's direction) the amount I'm eating.  The first time I hit the "ouch" point was w/3.0 oz of beans (I use a digital scale accurate to 1/20th of an ounce).  So it's possible to do while measuring.  As you point out, it's also very possible (and easier) to do by not measuring.

that scenario would then tell you to measure less next time to avoid overeating. 

Joshua H.
on 12/9/16 7:57 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Well, yeah, of course.  

I was just trying to demonstrate you can still accidentally do this even while doing things the right way.  I'm not sure about anyone else, but this is a big learning process for me.  I'm not getting everything right the first time out.

sassy64
on 12/7/16 5:07 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I feel the same way.  My surgery was on 11/30.  I'm thinking maybe liquids just go right through the pouch and don't stick around long enough to give that full sensation.  Just a though,

Donna L.
on 12/7/16 5:44 pm, edited 12/7/16 9:44 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The nerves to the stomach have been cut.  Normally, when there is pressure in the stomach, they stimulate fullness.  You will not feel fullness for some time.  You need not worry about this :)  Additionally, later out it is still bad to eat to fullness.  Best to always measure.

However, this is why it is imperative to eat slowly and drink slowly for many weeks.  You can easily damage the sleeve if you do not.  Measure everything.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

LisaV_SG
on 12/7/16 7:21 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Well I thought the point of the sleeve is to get full quicker lol at least that's what my impression was. Of course you don't want to completely stuff yourself. But right now since I just had surgery I'm just not sure what I'm even feelin down there.. sometimes it's cramps.. sharp pains.. sometimes bloating.. idk but I don't feel "full". I'll make sure to measure everything out when I start food!

Most Active