Protein suggestions

LisaV_SG
on 12/9/16 1:21 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

I bought Premier protein and although it's not bad, I just don't foresee myself drinking two of those a day to keep up with my protein goal. Goal is 60-80 grams daily. I'd rather be closer to 80 as much as possible. I feel like I'll need another protein drink or supplement a day to keep up (for now) since I only have like 2 food options as a protein source. (yogurt and cottage cheese.. I'm on phase 2) I'm really worried about meeting my protein goals because I know how important it is. Also.. does Propel count as "water" since it is just flavored water? Thanks!

rachelp
on 12/9/16 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I don't like sweet so Unjury chicken soup flavored protein powder has been a life saver for me! There is Syntrax Nectar that have all sorts of different flavors like fruity. Just google it. And anything that doesn't have caffeine and of course no sugar counts toward your "water" intake like decaf coffee and even count your protein drinks. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

LisaV_SG
on 12/9/16 2:46 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

You like the injury chicken soup protein powder? Idk I'm skeptical of it because it just sounds weird to me.. soup flavored protein powder lol I'm not a big "sweet" person either so I'd love to at least try it! But I just don't want to buy a whole thing of it.

rachelp
on 12/9/16 2:57 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

It tastes like soup broth with seasonings and everything. It's very good. You just can't put it in super ho****er or it will clump up. I haven't looked but go to the Unjury web site or call them to see if they have samples.

Stacy_WLS
on 12/11/16 11:58 am

I've had chIke protein powder everyday for 3 years or so.  so good.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/9/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Flavored water definitely counts towards your water intake. Propel, Mio, Crystal Light, decaf tea (hot or iced)-- as long as it's wet and caffeine-free you're set!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lizzy_VSG
on 12/9/16 2:51 pm
VSG on 11/17/16

I have been using Genepro, its an unflavor protein powder and one small scoop is 30 gram of protein. I put it in almost everything. Like you I can't drink two of premier proteins. It has a minor protein taste, but it is not bad at all. I works well in yogurt and smoothies. Best of luck!!! 

rachelp
on 12/9/16 3:00 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Genepro is not a good. I forget why. Grim! Where are you! He knows why. 

califsleevin
on 12/9/16 3:59 pm - CA

Genepro basically checks all the boxes of being a classic nutritional supplement scam - it's too good to be true (30g of "equivalent" protein in only 15g of product, whatever "equivalent" is....), it's proprietary and nobody knows what it really is and they aren't saying, there has been no independent testing to validate their claims.

If one is lucky, it might be somewhere close to what they claim, sorta, kinda... The typical American diet, crappy as it may be, is usually fairly protein rich, so worst case is that this stuff will make expensive urine, but for those who are depending upon it to provide ones' basic protein needs, that's an awful big risk. Better to go with the generally accepted mainstream protein sources (whey isolate generally considered the best, with whey blends, egg and various vegetable proteins being somewhat less absorbable but well known in character, and all have multiple competing producers.

My preference is to go with the powders and blend and mix them with other flavors to make something between palatable to downright tasty. Some find various products to be too sweet, which can be cut back by blending with unsweetened product or plain yogurt, or use unflavored powders to blend into other foods or drinks, or add flavors of your own. Mix it into jello or puddings to change it up.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

LisaV_SG
on 12/9/16 4:12 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Thanks for the advice on mixing the powders! Yeah I've heard bad things about genepro so I'm gonna steer in the opposite direction. I think I'll try syntax nectar and see what I can mix with it!

Most Active