A few questions for Veteran VSGers (2 years or more post op)

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/17 9:46 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions for those who are 2+ years post op....

1. How do you feel (physically and mentally) today as compared to before your VSG?
  2. Other than the sensation of having a smaller stomach, and maybe seeing some loose skin....do you sometimes forget you even had a VSG?
  3.  What was single most difficult thing you experienced in your journey since having VSG? 

Thank you!

Dave

Gwen M.
on 1/5/17 3:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Amazing.  My life is incomparably better.  I'm doing things that never even crossed my mind to do and I'm constantly gobsmacked that this is MY life that I'm living.  I loved my life pre-op, but I never knew it could be even better.  Sure, there are still problems.  My dad still died, I still get kidney stones, my life will never be perfect - but I'm taking better care of myself mentally and physically so these things are easier to deal with.  I will say that the entire process has made me pay attention to my health quite a bit more, but I think that's a positive change. 

I never, not for a single moment, forget that I had VSG.  I will never be a "normal" person.  I will always be obese - even if only in my brain.  And I will always need to be vigilant with my body.  

Other than my dad's death and Trump's election?  Having to accept that I have Binge Eating Disorder and figuring out what the hell to do about that.  That was pretty emotional for me.  But life has been so much better since I started treatment for my mental illness.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 1/5/17 10:31 am

1) I feel great.  I am the fittest I have ever been in my life (even fitter than when I was a bit lighter).  I call my time at the gym "play time" -- my body is so strong and working out is so much fun.  Fitness is way easier for fit people and that is probably why they stay fit -- it isn't a chore but my fun time of the day.  I still am a food addict, but the surgery makes it easier to deal with.  

2) I don't forget.  Depending on what I eat I can eat portions that don't seem ridiculously small -- so people don't really notice anything.  Like I said, I'm a food addict and have to deal with that at 165 lbs or 290 lbs - my head is still the same.  

3) Good question.  I guess maybe it is right now or still to come.  To be honest losing the weight wasn't that hard.  I was diligent and followed my plan.  But the hard part is the long haul -- sticking to a plan and not going off the rails for the rest of my life.  Again, I'm an addict -- I was what you might call "sober" from a lot of the things that could be classified as my drug for a solid 6 months, once those crept back in managing it is hard.  My weight has gone up over the past few years.  I'm at the point where I've reigned it in right now, but this has to stay top of mind for me for the rest of my life.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

roxytrim
on 1/5/17 11:51 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13
  1. I feel in far more control - about 99% of the time.  I too am in better physical condition than I have ever been - at 59 no less...power swim 45-70min 3xwk, lift weights yoga & walk. I was bored today so went over to the local Marshalls to try on swimsuits for a kick (never in a mil yrs would have done that before)
  2.  Yeah sometimes...I think whoa you are eating a regular portion size - when did that happen?  Then I get a grip and eat my protien first and all's good.
  3. Well I've decided not to touch alcohol & while that has simplified my life in so many positive ways - I find myself a bit more out of the social loop than I used to be.  Although I never was that social - so who am I trying to fool. Plus I just can't eat a large steaming bowl of pasta anymore - but refer to point 1.
Lemily
on 1/5/17 12:06 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I have a few questions for those who are 2+ years post op....

1. How do you feel (physically and mentally) today as compared to before your VSG? I can't ever imagine going back to life and the way I was pre-surgery. It was the best decision I have ever made for both myself and my family. Mentally, I can still use some help. I found out that surgery doesn't cure everything mental that went on with my eating habits and self esteem. I have not ventured to go to a therapist as of yet, but maybe some day.
  2. Other than the sensation of having a smaller stomach, and maybe seeing some loose skin....do you sometimes forget you even had a VSG? Nope, I have never and will never forget.
  3.  What was single most difficult thing you experienced in your journey since having VSG? Now three years out, I got kind of complement and im trying to find my way back. The minute I forget why I did this or what it means, I start slacking. Ive come too far to let that happen. The hardest part, taking the few pounds off that I put on. Definitely harder to take off the second time around.

happyteacher
on 1/6/17 3:52 am
  1. Dramatic dramatic improvement in quality of life, and 5 years out.
  2. If I didn't have other issues from losing the gallbladder I would not constantly think about it. I have to though to carefully monitor fat intake.
  3. Dealing with work place discrimination. Even though I didn't tell them I still deal with a lot of that from issues surrounding my health. Dealing with the constant attention in that first year was hard for me- the constant people stopping me in hallways wanting to talk about it, people monitoring what I was eating, etc. They still always notice what I eat, but no longer ask about or talk about the weight loss as it is now just my normal. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Bufflehead
on 1/6/17 4:57 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

How do you feel (physically and mentally) today as compared to before your VSG?

Immeasurably better on both counts. I had been morbidly obese my entire life and I really didn't realize how much it was costing me physically and emotionally until I wasn't anymore. Before I was slow, unenergetic, antisocial, and spent most of my waking moments worried about people judging me, pitying me, etc. Now, 200+ lbs lighter, I feel so energetic and able to move through the world as my own person, without worrying about things like "is that person watching me eat?" or "will I fit through this turnstile?" or "how can I afford to buy two airplane seats?". My physical health has improved tremendously. I feel like I can do pretty much anything I want! I am naturally introverted but I'm not shunning all social situations due to fear of the impact my weight will have.

Other than the sensation of having a smaller stomach, and maybe seeing some loose skin....do you sometimes forget you even had a VSG?

Rarely. It's not something I would forget, maybe just that at times it's not at the forefront of my mind. I do still have to work hard at maintaining my weight loss, so what I am eating and so forth is something I think about a lot. Also, I remain profoundly grateful and happy about my surgery, so I think about it in that way. I run across people, places, and situations that remind me about how limited and unhappy my life was, and that makes me reflect on my surgery and how glad I am I chose it.

What was single most difficult thing you experienced in your journey since having VSG? 

I haven't had a lot of difficult experiences. I think most people experience some pain and fatigue while recovering from surgery, and I wasn't any exception, but I never thought of that as difficult or had what we call buyer's remorse. I guess I would say that I went through a bit of a down phase and struggle at about eight months out when it really hit me that I was never going to be able to do the "eat what you want in moderation" or variation of that, even after hitting goal. I will have to work really hard at eating correctly and strictly monitoring my intake and weight forever if I want to be successful. For a while that was a hard blow, and it made me sad when that reality sunk in. I got over it though, and have accepted that in fact most people in Western society over age 30 who are at a healthy weight have to work at it. I will probably have to work harder than most. It may not be "fair" but it is what it is, and my not liking it doesn't make a difference.

Spanky123
on 1/7/17 4:31 pm

Hello, I just passed my 2year anniversary!

1. How do you feel (physically and mentally) today as compared to before your VSG?  I feel GREAT, wish I had done this years ago when my kids were smaller. I am able to do so much more with them and having a blast doing it. Mentally, I am the same for the most part, but I have found myself in need of "something to do" almost compulsively. Not sure if that has to do with food issues or not, but it works out. It has given me the drive and stamina to homeschool my 2 kids this year while I am still working. I have decided to start doing any of the home repair projects I feel I can do, instead of nagging my husband. (bought me a slew of tools and made a workshop area in my garage)
  2. Other than the sensation of having a smaller stomach, and maybe seeing some loose skin....do you sometimes forget you even had a VSG?  I don't usually forget, b/c I still think about my food alot. But it's not in the front of my mind at all times either. 
  3.  What was single most difficult thing you experienced in your journey since having VSG? Most difficult was coming to grips with just how much time food had taken up of my life. I must have thought about it all the time and didn't realize it. Also, dealing with the "wanting" of certain foods. (Still deal with that). It has been kinda weird with my spouse, but it has evened out. Also, coming to grips with that even with dramatic weight loss, I am not 24 anymore and wont' look like i did when I last weighed this amount. 

ALL in ALL, BEST DECISION EVER! Wish I had done it sooner!

Thank you!

Most Active