Another new member here

theAntiChick
on 1/14/17 2:06 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Busy weekend, but I'll be fleshing out my profile and stuff as I have time.

I'm 47 and a computer geek - turned - nurse - turned computer geek.  LOL.  I was a paramedic when I was young, and then got into computers after a knee injury sidelined me.  I had a mid-life "crisis" and went back to get my RN and LOVED working ER, but was diagnosed with auto-immune arthritis (rheumatoid and/or psoriatic - the diagnosis is still a little fluid) and ended up having to abandon my plans to become a nurse practitioner.  However, my computer background (specifically with data warehouse analysis/programming) mixed with my RN makes me a perfect fit for a new field called Healthcare Informatics, so that's what I'm doing now, and am in my last year of my master's degree program to move that career path forward.

I've struggled with my weight most of my life, but was an active overweight person mostly for a really long time.  The last 10-15 years, have ben putting more and more weight on, and of course nursing school while working full time, and then the auto-immune diagnosis and the accompanying symptoms were factors in my hitting my all-time high weight of 306#.  I had been back and forth on surgery for years, but my rheumatologist recommended it because of the part the stomach tissue and fat cells play in inflammation.  So I jumped off the fence and started the process to get VSG.  I also have some PTSD-type food issues related to my Dad force-feeding me vegetables as a small child, and am an emotional eater and borderline binge eater.  So I also started therapy for my food issues, which has been INCREDIBLE in support of this process.

I was sleeved 8/17/2016 and have had a relatively smooth ride.  I cannot do a ketogenic diet, as I get very ill in ketosis, so a lot of the low-carb advice I have to modify for my personal situation.  But I'm trying to stay away from sugars and simple carbs and focus on healthy choices and move toward cooking more than eating out or ordering in (got in some REALLY bad habits in nursing school... even my teenage daughter was begging to never eat pizza again!!  LOL).  So far I'm down 72# and trying to get more active, but the auto-immune arthritis is making it more difficult than I would like.  But I'm not giving up!!  I want to make the most of my honeymoon period, and get those good habits established.

I'm on my 3rd marriage (and 3rd time's a charm, right?) and my 19-year old daughter is in college and about to move out on her own for the first time.  I also have 4 bonus kids thanks to hubby, ranging from 12 to 23.  We see the youngest every other weekend, the other 3 live on the east coast.  We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and I like to think I have spare time for hobbies and such, but I really don't with work and grad school and everything.  LOL.

So anyway, that's the Clif Notes version of my story.  Glad to be here, looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from the people who have done this successfully.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

heidikat72
on 1/14/17 3:33 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Love seeing some of my favorite peeps over here!

Rachel B.
on 1/14/17 4:18 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I SO UNDERSTAND!!!  I decided to do my surgery while I was in grad school and had the surgery 4 days after my pinning (pix in profile).  There is a lot of great support here.  Please stick around.  And keep plugging away at grad school.  It's such a *****!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

theAntiChick
on 1/14/17 4:28 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I don't have any choice but to slog through to the end.  The only hope I have of being able to pay my student loans is getting into a management position.  Luckily, with the MS and my particular blend of skills and experience, I should be very hire-able.  :D  Besides, I only have 5 more 8-week courses left.  I graduate (knock on wood) in December.

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:43 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

That's what got me through too!  I remember informatics being one of the courses available.  I'm greatful in my line I get to do telemed!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/17 4:50 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

It looks like all the usual suspects...  ;-)

Raymia
on 1/14/17 5:03 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Hello I had to follow you all I need the tough love :  ) 

Sai F.
on 1/15/17 10:22 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Yay :D

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Frenchie1977
on 1/14/17 5:25 pm
VSG on 12/05/16

I too followed everyone over here but I am frustrated with trying to figure out navigating this site on my phone. And frustrated I can't delete my account on BP

theAntiChick
on 1/14/17 10:02 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Yeah, I'm using Chrome on my phone, and it's OK but the nav is easier on my laptop.  I'll get used to it.  Here's hoping for an app soon.  :D

Most Active