How to get over missing part of your stomach!

jayla21
on 1/18/17 5:58 pm

I went to a seminar last night to learn about different weight loss options and what my local weight loss center has to offer when it comes to the different types of surgery. I went in with a very open mind and a thought that maybe this is just too extreme for me. I left feeling the opposite...even setting up my first appointment to get the ball rolling. While weight loss surgery was in the back of my mind for many years, I never thought I would consider it. I had a baby 6 months ago and the thought of developing health problems and not being around for her now terrify me. There are a few things that I cant seem to get over though...

How did you get yourself comfortable with the fact that you are removing a piece of your stomach...FOREVER! I know this sounds weird, but it really kind of freaks me out that this is not reversible. Not that I want it to me, but I would be lying if I was not scared about an entire lifestyle change. I enjoy my nights out with girl friends eating sushi and drinking wine...traveling to exotic destinations and sampling foods. Is this truly the end of all of this, or is it really all moderation eventually?

Im a new mom (at 34 years old) and I definitely want to have another child. BUT, I feel that I need to take this time to work on myself so that I can be around for my new baby. The thought of having to wait 18 months freaks me out too, more so due to my age. I never pursued surgery options before because I knew I wanted children. I fear making this is decision is being selfish in a way. I have had a few friends tell me to wait until after we finish building our family first...and I am so conflicted when it comes to this. I want more children, but what good is that if I am not around to see them grow.

Anyone been in a similar situation...in the midst of starting their family, but realizing that their health is getting out of control and its time to focus on fixing that first?

I will probably be asking a lot of questions of the next week as I prepare to start this process, and make it to my first appointment.

White Dove
on 1/18/17 6:17 pm - Warren, OH

Sort of like getting a manicure.  You might miss the part of the nails that are filed away but you enjoy the new look so much that you don't worry much about the parts that are gone.  In fact it would be nice if he new shape never grew out.

They are taking away the excess portion of your stomach and reshaping it to a different size that will help you eat less and feel better.

You have probably tried moderation already and know it does not work.  You do need to be ready to dedicate yourself to a different lifestyle.  I still go out with friends, but don't drink or eat foods that will cause regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jayla21
on 1/18/17 6:55 pm

But your nails can grow back...and if I am correct, this is very permanent right? (Im still learning!) You cant really "grow" your stomach back, or can you? I am a worry wart, so I alway dig deep into anything I am trying to learn about, haha.

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:41 am

It will not grow back. With that said, I have yet to meet someone who went through the procedure and say 2 years out said,"Wow, I really wish my stomach would grow back."  We actually frequently here, "Wow, I wish I still had the same level of restriction I had early out". I wonder if what the underlying fear is if you will every "enjoy" food in the same way, or derive the same level of satisfaction from it that you do currently. That can be incredibly difficult to wrap your brain around preop- what does it actually feel like, will I miss food, etc. 

Food satisfaction/enjoyment of food is actually identical. You do eat far less of it for sure, but the end result feels the same. For many of us, food enjoyment/satisfaction actually increases believe it or not. This is due to many of us eating "better" food because we eat so much less. For example, hubby and I would not eat steak all that frequently and instead typically get more budget friendly cuts of meat. Now, we spend the same amount but purchase very nice cuts. We pay more attention to food quality since the quantity is so reduced. Preop we were all about quantity, lots and lots of quantity. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 6:21 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I remember years ago, long before I had ever heard of VSG surgery, wishing there was a way to just make my stomach smaller. How does that answer your question?  

The nice thing about this type of surgery is that it keeps all your plumbing in the proper order. When I discovered this option, it was a no brained, as they say. 

jayla21
on 1/18/17 6:58 pm

Agree, which is why I think this is the best option for me. I really have no desire to reroute things within my body, but modifications internally kind of bring out my anxiety. Im sure this is totally normal, but for someone who over analyzes everything I really feel I make the thought process harder on myself.

alouisa63
on 1/18/17 7:20 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

My little nephew (10 yo) was looking at old pics and saw my SMO pic.  He didn't believe it was me even though he knew me at that weight (how quick they forget!!)  I tried to explain the WLS why I couldn't eat as much food as he could (I would rather clothe than feed that kid!!) and eventually boiled it down to "Do you know what a tailor does?"  He did... "So it was like if a pair of pants are too big and you take them to the tailor and the tailor makes them fit."  Without missing a beat he nods and says "So your stomach fits you now!"

I still have a stomach, it's just a smaller one, fully functional, and fits me.  I do not miss what was taken away :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

jayla21
on 1/18/17 8:08 pm

How cute! That is a good way to look at things. And hello from a fellow Michigander! I am not too far from you on the eastside :)

theAntiChick
on 1/18/17 8:35 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

LOVE this.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:43 am

Oh my gosh. leave it to a child to come up with a beautifully simple way to describe the vsg!!  I am totally using that!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views