Will it get better?

Erin T.
on 1/19/17 4:48 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I had my VSG on Tuesday and then spent the next 36 hours throwing up (or trying to, since I hadn't eaten anything). I was discharged today and I feel much better but I still can't seem to bring myself to eat anything. I'm getting my fluids, but my protein is sorely lacking. I truly feel like there is no possible way I can eat. I have tried protein shakes and yogurt and and anything dairy just is NOT appealing and everything tastes bad. I mixed unflavored Unjury powder with crystal light and managed to get down a glass of that. Please say this will get better and easier as time goes on, because right now I'm panicking over the decision I made!

Notaboutperfect
on 1/19/17 5:37 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

I'm not sure what you dr's plan is, but I can tell you that my first three-four days were very hard.  My Dr told me to concentrate on water (tiny sips). Try ice chips, sf Popsicles, jello, broth?  If you can manage the protein with crystal light, drink it.  Or could try mixing it with broth too,  Or thin out your protein shakes.  Most plans are liquid at this stage so it's pretty normal not to tolerate thicker things. Call your NUT or surgeons office for clarity and ideas.

As for getting better--yes it gets way better!!  (For me) The first week was the hardest physically. The first month I spent figuring out how to get in enough protein, learning my limit and when to stop so I didn't feel awful, and grieving some old habits. Around two weeks I stopped losing for two weeks which was discouraging. But the stall passed. I'm seven weeks out now and am feeling a lot better. I don't feel so much like a patient and am concentrating on finding ways I like to exercise.  I look forward to just getting better and better.  

You can do this!  Very soon you'll be months out and these first days will be a memory...

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 5:38 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

It's already gotten better!  You went from dry heaves to not dry heaving. That may sound glib, but it is the truth. You are going to feel rotten for a while, but each day gets a little better than the day before. Just keep reaching for your goals as best you can with water and then protein. The last thing you want is to become dehydrated and end up back in the hospital. But as bad as you might feel right now, you are already making progress. 

sheri.calabrese
on 1/19/17 5:40 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

It will get better! My wife could do no dairy after surgery and now has to do her protein shakes with unsweet almond milk. She struggled with protein for about two weeks until we figured that out. She was also having major acid reflux as well, poor thing. But finally found the magic pill and the almond milk and things were SO much better. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/19/17 6:23 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yes it does get better. Get tha****er in. Sip,sip,sip, walk, walk, walk. Repeat often, hopefully this will be a blip on your radar screen.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Rachel B.
on 1/19/17 7:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

T said it.  Right now WATER is your priority.  Dehydration is NO BUENO.  As long as you're well hydrated, then you can try proteins as tolerated.  Be gentle with yourself.  This gets WAYYY better!!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

fiercebynature
on 1/20/17 5:34 am

It gets better so hang in there . 

Water is the most important. 

I found the premixed protein shakes better but I also mixed them half and half with water and warmed  them up. That helped monumentally to get in protein . I still have them this way . 

I mixed 4 oz premier protein shake with 4 oz water warmed in my microwave.  

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

Erin T.
on 1/20/17 5:47 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I managed to get down half of a premier protein shake this morning. I'm feeling pretty awesome about that! Once my 30 minutes is up after eating I'll start back on sipping water!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views