My Wonderful Husband

landy
on 1/21/17 6:21 am

From one of my previous posts, I explained my husband is having a hard time with understanding why I want to have VSG. 

Finally, after over a week, he read material I sent him.  Then, we discussed it. 

What he got from the articles, research, etc. he took the following out of it:

Surgery is not a quick fix, you have to work at it.

Exercise  is a must.

Surgery doesn't fix the brain.

VSG is a tool, used incorrectly, it will be a useless tool.

Eating the right food, this is key.

Get all your liquids in.  Dehydration=Bad

My husband's biggest concern, as is mine and my therapist's... reverting to old habits.  I'm working on it. 

So far, when I have felt the urge to eat at night, I keep myself busy or just go to bed. 

I'm thankful he read everything, has an opinion and I also respect his concerns. 

I feel better that he is more on board with me, even with the concerns.  I can't say he jumping for joy over me having surgery, but at least he is educating himself. 

Happy Weekend!

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

roxytrim
on 1/21/17 8:11 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

It sounds like you may have a pal on your journey.  Good for you.

theAntiChick
on 1/21/17 8:18 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My husband was concerned about my having the surgery, until he heard what my rheumatologist said about it possibly helping my auto-immune disease, as well as helping me get back to a more active life.  Then all he cared about was my success and health.  I'm so glad to have him in my corner on this.  I read so many stories about people whose spouses are against their surgery, and actively sabotage them.  I don't know how I'd deal if my hubby wasn't on board.

Going back to old habits is in my opinion the biggest threat we all face.  Therapy for my food issues has been invaluable to me in my process so far, and since you said you have a therapist, I'm hoping you have the support you need to break your old habits as well.  I wish mental health services were more available to everyone without being so expensive out of pocket (my insurance theoretically covers it, but I haven't gotten them to pay a dime in a year).

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/17 9:19 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I have been trying to fight my habits with eating as well. I know I am not hungry, but the urge to just eat something is so strong. The evenings are the hardest, and watching TV is the hardest! I just try and drink water and stay strong. Luckily I am only just over a week out so I know that I can really hurt my new tummy if I go to my old habits. 

Readyjwc
on 1/21/17 11:59 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Stay strong mershmellow - you can do this!!!!!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/21/17 3:10 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

So far, when I have felt the urge to eat at night, I keep myself busy or just go to bed. 

Sugar free jello works if you are having a hard time kicking the habit. It is also 99% water. You still have to deal with the eating issue but at least that is a healthy choice. 

Most Active