nasty cold and weight gain....

Anita
on 2/3/17 8:24 am

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a really nasty cold (glad I got the flu shot in November or else I think this would be worse) and have been sneezing and blowing my nose til the poor thing is ready to fall off. I've been careful to get in extra fluids and keeping up with my protein, so why am I two pounds heavier this morning???? I know it's not a major setback, but I was really happy yesterday when I hit the 62 pounds off mark. I'm still thrilled with my weight loss so far and I'm not complaining because I know it will come back off again, I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen....sorry....I'm rambling.

I've been using Nyquil and Halls (sugar free) cough drops......could it be something in there that's caused this? You would think that with all the nose blowing I'd have lost 10 pounds of fluid alone.....LOL.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....have a super weekend everyone!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 2/3/17 9:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's unlikely that it's "real" weight.  You're probably just retaining fluids since you're sick.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anita
on 2/3/17 9:51 am

Thanks Gwen...I figured as much because I'm not eating or drinking anything I shouldn't have (except for the one lonely Ritz cracker that called my name....and didn't taste as good as I thought it would - or remembered). I suspect that by the time this cold is gone, so will the two pounds.

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/17 9:44 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Hope you are feeling better soon, Anita!!  You sound miserable.  Not sure what is causing the weight gain.  Just got over a major virus/infection and was on Augmentin and Robitussin.  Don't worry .... take good care of you.  The weight will come off.  

Anita
on 2/3/17 9:53 am

Thanks Soho......as Gwen said it could just be that my body is holding on to fluids......not the end of the world and for sure I'll be working to make sure it doesn't get worse.....no falling back into the old comfort food chaos and problems!!!

Stacy_WLS
on 2/3/17 9:49 am

2 lbs is nothing.  If it is still there in a week then it could be something.  Bu****er retention can be crazy.  I find when I drink less I retain more water -- so drink more water and your body might let it go.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Anita
on 2/3/17 9:55 am

Thanks Stacy.....I suspect that they will go away shortly....I'm not worried.....just cranky (LOL) because my nose rivals Rudolf's...and hurts too.....plus I sound like a frog!!!

KittyKarin
on 2/3/17 11:48 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

The same thing happens to me, Anita, every time I get a cold.  I don't eat anything different and usually eat less but it seems like my weight always goes up during that time.  It's really strange but maybe our bodies are focused on fighting off the sickness instead of fighting off the fat! LOL  Very scientific hypothesis so I'm sure it's 100% correct. 

Feel better soon! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Barbsleeved
on 2/3/17 12:20 pm
VSG on 08/22/14

Here's when I always gain a couple of pounds:

When I'm sick

When I travel 

When I fly (part of traveling) 

When I go camping in a higher elevation 

After I start a new workout routine 

I'm so used to it by now at 2.5 years out, I don't even blink an eye anymore. Now when the couple of pounds is because I've been eating like an asshole? That's a different story! 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

Readyjwc
on 2/3/17 1:43 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi there:

I agree with everyone...probably jus****er gain. I do hope you feel better. Nothing worse than a bad cold. Get your rest, a hot bath, and have some chicken soup.

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active