6 month checkup today went VERY Well.

theAntiChick
on 2/15/17 2:11 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Saw my rheumatologist yesterday, and my surgeon today.  6 months gone since surgery.

Her scales have me a tad bit heavier than I show on my scales, but it's also midday and clothed.  So I'll keep with my scales, which show 81# total lost.

Funny note - my rheumatologist always does blood tests, and she doesn't release the results for me to see on my patient portal for weeks.  My surgeon could see them from her side, the ones that have come back anyway, the vitamin panels apparently take longer.

Anyway, my inflammatory factors are all now completely normal.  I still have some joint pain, but it's apparently residual as the inflammation is now under control, and it's nowhere near as bad as it was before surgery.  So while it's not a cure for rheumatoid disease, it's at the very least helping the meds work better.  I'm off all blood pressure medications.

My surgeon is very happy with my results.  I am showing a little muscle loss, but nothing worrisome.  I've been having lots of migraines since surgery, we are theorizing it's from the hormone dump with the fat loss.  But it's made it very hard to eat right and exercise since before the holidays.  I need to focus on more protein intake, and get moving even if it's just a few minutes a day, to get back to the gym.  Surgeon says I should absolutely be able to get below 200#, and my goal of 175# is completely reasonable and attainable.  Weight loss will of course be slower for the next 6 months, but it should continue, it's all up to me.  :)

VSG is hands down the best thing I've done for my health, in ... well, ever.  My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 2:15 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

What great news!! Congratulations!! I hope I'm doing as well at 6 months.

Readyjwc
on 2/15/17 2:21 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

How are you feeling since surgery?  I must have missed a post somewhere.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Doing great!! Check out the thread I just started on my post op visit yesterday.

Not really looking forward to going back to work on Monday though!!

Readyjwc
on 2/15/17 2:20 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

GREAT NEWS!!!! Congrats - I love it when a Dr. gives good news for a change!

Keep up the good work.....

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Great news that your inflammation is under control and that you are doing so well with your VSG.  For some reason I was thinking you had RNY.  Totally agree with you that it is the best thing I did for my health. Happy for you that you are doing well!!!!

theAntiChick
on 2/15/17 2:30 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Nope.  The rheumatoid disease means I really need to be able to take NSAIDs and steroids when needed, so my team and I opted for the VSG even though I had a past history of reflux, and had enough to lose to make the RNY a slightly better option weight-wise.  So far (knock on wood) no reflux issues, and the weight is coming off.  It's slowed, of course, but it's still coming off, so it's all good.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 2:33 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Thank goodness you aren't having reflux issues.  I too had occasional reflux prior and "knock on wood" am not having it either.  That is awesome you are still losing. Keep it going ... great hearing about your progress. 

Anita
on 2/15/17 2:29 pm

What a fabulous visit and news!!! You're doing so well and you must feel like you're on top of the world!!

Keep up the good work.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

theAntiChick
on 2/15/17 2:32 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Weight-wise and surgery-wise, yeah I'm doing great.  I actually have been having a really rough time of it with other health concerns dog-piling me and causing nausea and fatigue that is making it really hard to eat right and exercise.  But, overall I'm so much better off than I was before I had the surgery, I have to remember that.  :)  And it will get better, I know.  :)

Most Active