Surgery Approved and Date almost set

Loseit2017
on 2/15/17 3:22 pm

Hello- very new to this and VERY NERVOUS.. I am 29 and really thought that I was going to be able to lose weight with diet and exercise (which I was never able to stick to) and I have not succeeded... Sooo I have been researching the VSG and now have approval and soon to come surgery date). I myself am a nurse but am COMPLETELY terrified of all the things that can go wrong (since that is all I see in my ER patients) and I am here just for the facts. I understand that everyone is different and we all tolerate and heal differently but just have general questions. 

1. the dietitian who screened me said that I would only be able to eat 8 bites per meal after the surgery and be done, is this accurate? is this realistic?  
  2. is it crazy that I don't want to tell my family about my procedure? would i be able to make it though on my own during recovery?
  3. will my constant heart burn go away?????

Any information will help and THANK YOU for all who post here because this blog was VERY HELPFUL for me in researching!!!

Gwen M.
on 2/15/17 3:43 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you have constant heartburn, VSG probably isn't the best choice for you since it will likely make things worse.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 2/15/17 4:54 pm

Did you tell you tell your surgeon you have constant heartburn?   The sleeve makes existing heartburn worse and gives heartburn to many who didn't have it previously. You may want to investigate gastric bypass instead.  Some people's GERD is bad enough to require a revision to a gastic bypass.

Rubydoo11917
on 2/15/17 5:35 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

I am 4 weeks post-op. The only family that know I have had this done are those under my roof, my husband and 2 kids. So, I don't think it is crazy that you don't want to tell them.

Readyjwc
on 2/15/17 5:50 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I've told my family, bff, and others. I'm not concerned who knows. My body, my decision.

It's your call how you want to deal with it. Tell or not to tell. It doesn't matter either way.

As for being nervous, I was a little. I knew this was right for me due to all the pluses to having it. Three years ago, I looked into it but didn't follow through. This time was just right for me. Everyone is different. If you're completely terrified - you may want to wait until you're at peace with the whole process. Yes, anything can go wrong but that could be said about a lot of things in life. But as an ER nurse - you already know that.

I wish you well in whatever you choose to do.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/17 3:45 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I didn't have anyone with me for recovery and I was fine. Not that it's ideal. i regret telling as many people as I did, although I did tell my family. Some don't get it but that doesn't matter to me. At least they can't ask why I didn't tell them. Good luck. 

Kathy S.
on 2/17/17 2:57 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active