Whatcha eating today? Monday, 2/20/2017

Gwen M.
on 2/20/17 4:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Good morning everyone!  It's Monday and tomorrow is my plastics consult - eek!  I'm excited and nervous.  Aside from class and voice lesson today, most of the day will be spent getting ready for the rest of the week which is significantly more busy.  But the high yesterday was in the 70s, and it's supposed to be lovely again today.  "Yay" global warming :/ 

1: protein shake
2: deli ham and cheese (I realized I could cut this up for easier eating before it went into my lunch box.)
3: Buttermilk-marinated pan-fried chicken breasts (recipe from a cookbook) served on top of salad stuff

liquid and vites: on track
exercise: some nice morning yoga

How about you?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Rachel B.
on 2/20/17 5:34 am, edited 2/20/17 11:03 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Happy Monday!  I eeked into onederland at 199.3 and I've been here since Saturday.

Yesterdays #'s: Calories-752, Fat-15.1g, Fiber-4.8g, Carbs-58.9g, Sodium-1876.7mg, Protein-93g, Water-72floz.  Daily Calorie Composition: 32% from carbs, 18% from fat and 50% from protein.

AM/B: White Mocha with ON white chocolate protein

L: Chicken Breast and quinoa

S: Premier Protein

D: Partial pork spare rib (fat trimmed)

S: Peanut Butter Fudge Protein Bar

Water & Vites

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Ktric
on 2/20/17 5:49 am
VSG on 02/15/17

Hi, I am 5 days post op Gastric sleeve and realize you are all way ahead of me. I'm sure you can search your memory and advise if you had similar feelings.  I started my search today to see how others felt and if maybe how I was feeling was something I should be concerned with. My 1 week post op f/u visit is tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to it. I do feel somewhat of a hunger pain but not really if that makes sense. Broth has made a difference and quenched that feeling. It takes a very long time for me to get fluids in. Most been getting 1 protein shake a day, sips of water throughout the day maybe 8oz, 4oz black coffee and Luigi Italian ice. I still get that gas/air feeling in my upper chest occasionally and wonder if that is normal or if I should be concerned with something more serious?

Rachel B.
on 2/20/17 7:30 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Since you have one day to see the surgeon, I would pose the question to him.  More than likely, its gas from the surgery.  He will be able to tell you better.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

JRanda
on 2/20/17 11:28 am
VSG on 02/08/17

Hi, Ktric.  I'm only a few days ahead of you.  I'm 12 days out.  Getting your fluids and your protein down is your job now, or at least that's the way I see it.  My sippy cup is never more than a few inches from me.  There is a product called New Whey and it is a life saver.  It's sold as a protein shot, like as if you would drink it in one gulp.  I use half a tube to my 16oz water bottle.  It comes in three flavors.  I haven't tried the watermelon, but the fruit punch and the acai berry make your water taste like Kool-Aid.  Each shot has 42g of protein!  

Another trick is the Isopure unflavored protein.  You could add that to your broth.  Neither the Isopure or the New Whey add any texture to your food.  

I also picked up some soups made by Pacific.  They are with the vegan and organic products in my store.  Their texture is smooth and watery, but they have good flavor.  I stir a small scoop of the protein powder into them for good measure.  

Remember that your watery foods also count toward your liquids each day.  

From what you describe, your metabolism is probably really low from not having enough nourishment and you are probably dehydrated.  Do you have a body composition scale?  I have been watching my % Body Water more closely than I have watched my weight (down 18#, btw).  I have actually been able to tick my hydration UP since I had the surgery!  

You asked about feelings.  It has been quite a roller coaster ride!  I wasn't that excited before I had the surgery.  I viewed it more like any other surgery someone would have to save their life.  I had to have it, but that didn't mean I was looking forward to it.  Like most of us, I have a dump truck full of emotional issues attached to my weight and I was a little afraid, "If I am not this, then who am I?"  After the surgery, and at least for now, that feeling is gone.  Too later for regrets now; here we go!  But MANY, MANY, MANY times during the day I get really frustrated with having to place so much attention on eating.  Before the surgery, eating was a compulsion.  It was just something I did.  I could no more leave something on my plate than fly!  And I no sooner finished breakfast then I would be thinking about lunch or even dinner.  That is gone.  Simply gone.  I don't know where it went, but it is completely gone.  BUT because it is gone, I have to really THINK about eating now.  I could very easily go hours without eating or drinking.  It just never crosses my mind.  So I always have food and water with me.  

Another issue has been the brain fog.  I'm a teacher - a professor, actually - so I get paid to think.  Man!  I cannot focus!  It has been really challenging to get even simple things done let alone work toward anything important.  Before surgery, I worked 14 hour days every day.  Now, I am crapped out at 4 hours.  I know I don't want to go back to 14 hour days.  That was part of my dysfunction, but I have got to be able to put in at least 8-10 productive hours.  I'm a little worried about that. 

You mentioned that you are drinking coffee.  I would suggest you stop that.  Caffeine is a diuretic so it is dehydrating you even more than you already are.  And the Italian Ice is more sugar than you probably need.  The dietician at my doctor's office set our goals at 90 oz of water and 90g of protein each day.  That's a lot!  You can't afford to waste a bit of space on anything other than water and protein.  I tried eating some veggies last night and that was just ugly.  Too much bulk!  My stomach didn't like that at all!  

I have that gas/air in your chest that you are feeling, I think.  Instead of burping, it's like this feeling of effervescence, like champagne bubble rising.  My daughter had the surgery two years ago and she says she has that all the time.  She thinks it is because we can't build up enough for a real burp.  At any rate, I don't worry about it and have had some good chuckles with friends and family when they hear it.  

I hope your doctor visit went well and hearing how someone else is dealing with the same challenges helps.  Take care. 

Readyjwc
on 2/20/17 1:59 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi:

I'm just about a month out and I, as most of us do, understand your feelings. It's hard to get all your liquids and proteins in. Your main concern should be water and walking to get the gas out. Your body can survive without the protein but not withou****er. Try sugar free popsicles or Jello. Try room temp vs. very cold. See what works best for you.

I get a gurgling or what I perceive as hunger pains but I don't think it's real hunger. I think it "head hunger" which we all have to deal with at certain times with this surgery.

The best thing to do is to tell the surgery your concerns and see what he says. 

Keep the faith - this is only a blip in your journey.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 6:30 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Congratulations, Rachel!  

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 7:31 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Congratulations, Rachel!

Readyjwc
on 2/20/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment! So proud of you!

Keep going - you've got this!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Erin T.
on 2/20/17 5:46 am
VSG on 01/17/17

B: Ricotta Pancakes

L: Chicken Thigh

D: Shelley's Ricotta Bake (I think)

S: Premier Protein

E: 2.5-3.0 mile walk on lunch break! 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish