Planning a big trip 4 months after surgery, cross posted

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 4:25 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

So I'm in the process of planning a trip of a lifetime (to Australia) which will take place 4 months after surgery. Because of certain logistics I really can't put it off past that. As a vegan, I think it's going to be really hard getting my protein in so I'm planning on relying on bars and protein powder shakes as well as dried nuts, seeds and beans. I'm at the 2 month point now and just got clearance to eat what I want (high protein, low carb) so I'm taste testing some of this stuff now.

My question for folks is first does this diet sound like it could sustain me adequately (I'm not looking for optimally) over a 3 week trip? I'm sure I will be able to do some supplementing with restaurant meals but I know finding high protein vegan meals at restaurants will be hard but I should be able to find some low carb veggies to eat.

My second question is how should I expect to feel at 4 months out? This is going to be a very active trip. I'm already planning a 6 mile hike, several shorter hikes, snorkeling and of course lots of walking. Right now I feel pretty good and only expect my energy will be increased by then. My only problem now is that my energy in the mornings is poor.

Thirdly, how does one navigate restaurant meals to avoid negative consequences? I would hate to have my first episodes of vomiting, dumping syndrome, etc in the middle of my trip. I pretty much ate at home even before surgery (I like to cook) so other than avoiding the obvious stuff like no deserts or fried foods are there hidden triggers I should look for?

Advice that folks have would be most helpful though please don't suggest I eat meat! Thanks in advance.

Bonroxie19
on 3/1/17 8:57 pm

Hi there,

I went to Spain 3 months after my RNY.  I am not vegan though but had no issues at all with the trip.  i took my protein powder, and bars.  we spent a week in barcelona and then took a 7 day cruise.  I had no issues with walking up to 10 miles a day.  

your energy should be much better in the next 4 months.  

i have never vomited though i much say i did overfill myself once and wished i could have.

the first year i had no problems avoiding all forms of sweets so cannot help you there.

do not stress you will have an amazing time

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Most Active