New to the Forum--questions

aheuerman
on 3/23/17 9:14 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Hello! I just had my gastric sleeve done 3/14/17. I am a week and a half out and have only lost 6 pounds. I feel like all the stuff I read and people I talk to have lost more that that. I feel like something went wrong. Can anyone help???

sgg1002
on 3/23/17 10:02 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Don't be discouraged, friend. The first 1-2 weeks your body is healing, getting over the swelling and the water weight from the surgery itself. I had gained 8 lbs while in the hospital. It took me 7 days to get that off. You are going to be fine and do great on this journey!

aheuerman
on 3/23/17 10:20 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Thank you so much! That does help!

Cathy H.
on 3/23/17 10:29 am, edited 3/23/17 3:29 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Yep, pretty common, I put on 9 pounds at the hospital because of all the fluids they pumped in during and after surgery. I only lost 7 pounds the first week, but then it started coming off fast. BE PREPARED for the 3-week stall! I happens to a majority of people, so don't get discouraged. I knew about it, was prepared, and still let it get me down a bit when it lasted a month. But boy when it broke, the weight just slid off again.

There will be ups and down, but just remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint, so just hang in there! And welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

aheuerman
on 3/23/17 10:32 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Thank u! It's so great to know that people have gone through the same thing and that I am not just doing something wrong...lol Thanks for the heads up on week 3 :)

heidikat72
on 3/23/17 10:49 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

don't compare to others - we all lose differently. also, the first couple weeks your only focus should be on healing. you just had a significant surgery and your body is focusing attention on healing. as long as you stick with your post plan, the weight will come off.

Also, in the hospital you were pumped full of IV fluids and it takes time to flush all that out of your system too - a lot of people weigh more when released from the hospital than the day they were admitted.

While I've said don't compare because it is a dangerous slippery slope to feeling discouraged, I didn't lose anything the first two weeks post op - not even a tenth of a pound. I still ended up losing 22lbs the first month. Some people have a delayed start as they heal, some people lost a big amount immediately and then hit a stall at week 3, others lose more steady. In the end, as long as we stick to plan we will lose.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

aheuerman
on 3/23/17 10:53 am
VSG on 03/14/17

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks so much. I will try and just focus on myself and my own recovery. I am just so impatient and that is a downfall a lot of times...lol O know what I weighed before surgery but not sure right after I came home. So I don't really know how much I gained with all the IV fluid. Thanks again! This does help :)

jachristmas
on 3/23/17 11:03 am
VSG on 12/14/16

You are doing just fine! Everyone loses at their iwn rate. Just focus on staying hydrated and follow your plan. This is why my surgeon doesn't want us to weigh at home..I don't even own a scale. He doesn't want us to get discouraged and obsessed with the number. We only weigh at our monthly check up, but I can always feel that I am losing because my clothing fits differently and I take my measurements every so often. I am sure I will feel differently about the scale when I hit maintenance, but for now I am just going to trust my doctor and take his advice. I do enjoy the suspense and excitement each month when I step on the scale though.

aheuerman
on 3/23/17 11:42 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Yeah it does make me kind of crazy weighing myself here at home...lol I just need to quit comparing myself to others and what they r losing. Thanks so much for your reply. It does make me feel better when I hear words of encouragement:)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/23/17 12:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Surgery is not magic and your weight will not disappear overnight.

Could you have lost 6lb in a week before surgery??

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views