C-Pap Machine - NOT loving it!

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 12:38 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hello. I am scheduled for VSG on April 10th. I have mild sleep apnea (did not like the sleep test) and my Dr. has me on a C-pap to get used to it. He wants me on it at the hospital and after as he says it will help with my body healing, I completely respect what he says, but I hate it. When I lose 50lbs he said I can get rid of it, so I keep telling myself how great it is for me and that it is only for a short time. It wake up a few times a night and after being highly aggravated I take it off a couple of hours before I wake up at 5:30 am. I am on week 3 of this thing, yes it is a nice one and actually pretty comfortable, but I am a mouth breather and you have to breath through your nose with this thing, I dislike the air going in and the sleep Dr. put it on the lowest setting. DOES IT GET BETTER?

dondomit
on 3/23/17 12:43 pm

Yes it does. I have had my Cpap for about 3 years now. it was like pulling teeth to get me to even go to do the study....WOW what a difference!

I was a mouth breather as well but I committed to using the machine since insurance didn't pay for the study or machine and I wasn't going to have it be a waste. it took me a month to get used to it and now I don't know how I lived without it! so much more rested. I am in no rush to get rid of it even though it is a nuisance. they also make masks that fit over your mouth you can look into... I wish you the best of luck and hope your surgery goes great in april! God Bless

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin' 

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Good to know Don that you love it even though it is a pain and that you wouldn't go without it. I don't think that I feel much more rested as apnea is mild, but I want to heal. Good luck to you also, I'm sure we'll both be on here as there is so much helpful information and support!

Readyjwc
on 3/23/17 2:02 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Oh Sabrina - I truly feel your pain. I found out I had sleep apnea a month before my surgery. I, too, am a mouth breather and I had to have a full Darth Vader mask (goes over your nose and your mouth). I hated it!

I couldn't get used to it. Just couldn't. One week before surgery - I returned it. If I'm going to die in my sleep - so be it. My Dr. didn't insist I bring it to the hospital, thank goodness.

I don't know how much you weigh or how severe your sleep apnea is but hang in there. Keep reminding yourself that it's only temporary. I don't think it gets any better but you will be able to chuck it out the window soon enough!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 3:14 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi Jan,

I don't have the Darth Mask thank goodness! This one I have is pretty comfortable, it is pretty small, the air flow is what gets me. I figure I'll stick with it until I drop 50 then then get rid of it, per the Dr. My apnea is so mild but he insists while I am healing to use it. I weigh 320 - I kind of can't believe that I am saying that - I don't even tell my husband or best girlfriends my weight!! Thanks!!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 3/23/17 2:24 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

FYI, losing weight doesn't always solve apnea. At least request a simple overnight oximetry (one probe on a finger in your home) to check for desaturation.

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 3:17 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Ya-The sleep Dr./equipment guy said they can measure it by reading the Sim card to see how often it blows more air (according to how I need it), so I will do that before I stop. Hoping it will resolve. Congrats on your weight loss!! Thanks!

yvranx42
on 3/23/17 3:14 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I've had a really odd experience with my CPAP.

My sleep apnea was diagnosed after I had a DVT in 2015. So I've been on the machine for about 2 years. It took me about a month to get used to it, and then it was fine. I had no issues. I used nasal pillows and didn't have problems with mouth breathing.

My WLS program also recommended that I bring my CPAP to the hospital, which I did. And I tried to wear it. But - every time I fell asleep, with it on or with it off, my blood oxygen saturation dropped below 90%, and the monitor started going off, waking me up. So they opted to put me on oxygen instead of the CPAP. Rather than giving me a cannula, they put a mask on me. But I was able to sleep.

So that was for two nights in the hospital. Then I go home, and try to use my CPAP, and now I'm mouth breathing the whole night. It's hard to believe that my sleep behavior would change that much after just two nights wearing the mask, but it's been impossible to use the CPAP with the nasal pillows since surgery.

This post reminds me that I need to order a mask so I can get back on my CPAP. I don't see my pulmonologist for another 6 months - hoping by then I can request another sleep study and ditch the CPAP for good.

Sabrina J.
on 3/23/17 3:29 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

That is weird how it changed after 2 nights. Yikes, DVT's are bad, my husband has had them due to ruining his valves in his legs from skiing so many years. He's a mountain biker with really large calves. We are a family of skiers - except for me lately - but that will change!! My Dr. made me nervous and told me that he insisted I wear it while healing even though my apnea is minimal. He said he had a gal with minimal apnea who would did not wear it, she healed very slowly and had other organ complications due to lack of breathing and getting good rest. He also talked about the importance for the brain..etc. Interesting how different some of the Drs. are in what they recommend etc. Maybe you should order a mask soon! ;) I see you were recently sleeved - sounds like you are doing well - congrats on the weight loss!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/23/17 3:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're a mouth-breather, you can get a mask that covers both your nose and mouth, like this:

Finding a mask that fits properly makes a HUGE difference. Once I had one that worked for my face, I didn't wake up in the middle of the night at all.

I found I was much more willing to acclimate myself to it once it started to work. I had much more energy, didn't fall asleep at work, and just felt better all around. Feeling a little bit awkward at night made it definitely worth it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active