Fi****ch

aheuerman
on 3/28/17 12:05 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I have been researching fi****ches and am having a hard time picking one. What is everyone's opinion? I was looking at the Garmin Vivoactive but not sure. I would like it to be a smar****ch as well.

Rachel B.
on 3/28/17 12:52 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I looked at several when I got my first. The nike and jawbone didn't have good reviews. One of my clients had the Garmin and loved it. When I read up on it, it didn't have all the features I liked in the FitBit. The new Charge2 is great. I love it because you can track time on treadmill, elliptical, workout (yoga, jazzercise, etc.), running, weights, bike or interval workout. It can track you by GPS if you have your phone nearby. Some models do not need the phone to do so. Best part for me is the phone app. You keep track of your steps, cals burnt, stairs climbed, water intake, heart rate, weight, sleep, exercise, etc. It has a fabulous built in food journal where you can find most everything you eat, and if it isn't there, you can enter it just as the nutritional label on the package and the serving size (I recommend doing in ML/G, because it's not that easy to break weights down into portions of cups if you don't clean your plate). The newest thing I am taking advantage of is the challenges. If you have 'friends' linked through fitbit, you can do challenges, which is helping me push through my plateau. And, all of this sync's with an on-line account almost immediately. you can also get the fitbit aria scale (if you want to) which automatically syncs your weight to your account as well.

Good luck!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

aheuerman
on 3/28/17 1:05 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Wow! That seems like a good one to get! I will definitely check it out. Thanks!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/17 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've had several smar****ches and fitness bands over the years, here's what I've thought of them.

Right now I'm using a Pebble 2, which was recently bought out by Fitbit and won't be receiving more firmware updates. I like that the battery life is ridiculous (over a week) and it's completely waterproof so I can wear it swimming. The HR monitor seems reasonably accurate and it works well with apps like Strava. No trouble setting up notifications and the like, you install a separate Pebble app and it handles watchfaces, notifications, and such. A good choice if you're worried about price, since the newer model is under $100.

Samsung Gear Fit2 is a good one if you like the bracelet style, I got one for free when I bought my newest phone. Choices for apps and watch faces were more limited than some other bands, and you had to manage all of the setting through Samsung's own app, which doesn't integrate with anything else. It was OK, but I'd rather have a full watch-style.

Android wear is definitely my favorite, especially since they've just released a brand-new version of the software. I started with a Moto 360, then an LG G watch, and I'll probably be upgrading to the new LG Sport next month. The software is great and integrates with damn near anything (assuming you use Android). You can use voice commands to work with Google Assistant or to answer texts, which is especially handy when driving. Integration with Google Maps for navigation is awesome, and it works with a wide variety of fitness software (MMR, Strava, Runkeeper...). Battery life is only 24h so you'll need to charge it often. Being able to customize the strap is a nice little bonus.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

aheuerman
on 3/28/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Hmmmm....ok I haven't checked out the lg watches. I will do that. Right now I have an iPhone but want to go back to android. I like those much better. The problem is I have awhile before I can upgrade :/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/17 2:28 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Good news, the newest Android Wear software is compatible with iPhone!

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/google-launches-androi d-wear-for-ios-1603

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

aheuerman
on 3/28/17 2:29 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

O that's awesome! Thanks so much. I will definitely chcheck out the LG watch then

Gwen M.
on 3/28/17 5:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I love my Garmin Vivoactive. It's everything I want in a device. It's "smart" so I can get notifiers on it. It's waterproof so I don't need to remove it to shower. It has a great charge when not in GPS mode. It has built in GPS so it doesn't piggyback off my phone's GPS. It has all the functionality I need for running like interval timing, pace, etc. The new one has a built in heart rate monitor. Seriously love this thing.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 3/28/17 10:00 pm - Warren, OH

The things I love about Vivofit products are that they are waterproof and have a battery that does not have to be recharged. I wear mine 24/7.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 3/29/17 4:07 am

I use fitbit products because all my friends and family use them. I am extremely competitive and seeing everyones stats on my friends list keeps me motivated. I currently have the charge hr but when it dies I will be getting the new charge 2.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views