Severe Depression Post Op

Nura777
on 4/9/17 11:54 am

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping you can help me. I am seeing my family doctor tomorrow. But, I need to understand whether this new onset of severe depression and suicidal thoughts are due to my surgery.

Is my body not producing a hormone or chemical that it did before?

I have tried lexapro but if made my anxiety much worse, I was okay for a bit there and thought maybe I am fine. But after this weekend I know am not well.

I just need to know if I can fix me.

Rachel B.
on 4/9/17 1:38 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

You can't fix you alone. You need a team to wellness. I suggest a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner for medication management, and therapy with an LCSW or psychologist. You may need to start with meds from your PCP, but they are not specially trained in behavioral health.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Gwen M.
on 4/9/17 2:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Considering how completely unhappy you have been since your surgery and your extreme negativity about everything surrounding it, it seems plausible that your depression is related.

If you're not seeing a therapist, get yourself to one ASAP. I also recommend finding a psychiatrist. When you see your PCP, ask for a full panel of bloodwork.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 4/9/17 2:11 pm - Warren, OH

When we lose fat, we tend to have an overabundance of estrogen. I would get some natural progesterone cream at a health store, but ask the doctor about that tomorrow. It will not hurt and will probably help a lot.

Your doctor should be able to help you find the right treatment for your issues.

Google Dr John Lee to learn about hormone balance. See if you have the symptoms.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nura777
on 4/9/17 3:15 pm

Thank you all. I am seeing another therapist this coming Wednesday. I shouldn't have had this surgery. It's not meant for weak people like me.

ljbarbara
on 4/9/17 3:41 pm

Estrogen is stored in fat cells. As fat is lost, Estrogen is released into your system. This can cause wild mood swings and depression. You are not the first person to experience this hormone dump.

That having been said, the cause of your depression may be from some thing else and the hormone dump is probably making it worse. Severe depression and thoughts of suicide must always be taken seriously and treated. If there is suicide hot line in your area, I strongly encourage you to call it.

Do something nice for yourself, visit with friends, read a great book....don't sit and focus on your depression. Keep yourself occupied and distracted from your unhappy thoughts.

I don't know if this works for you, but prayer is a great source for strength and support for me.

I will keep you in my prayers, and by the way, weak people don't ask for help like you have. Give yourself some credit!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Nura777
on 4/9/17 4:23 pm

Thank you. It's funny you mentioned prayers, my mother just took me to have special prayers read over me by an imam.

How did you cope with your revision? Its one of my greatest fears that I may eventually need a revision to RNY.

ljbarbara
on 4/10/17 4:26 pm

The revision stopped the debilitating GERD I had. I've been doing really well with it and I'm glad to have had surgery.

I know you were going to your PCP today and I hope you are able to discuss some of your problems with him. Maybe he can help to get you into see the psychiatrist sooner than your scheduled appointment on Wednesday.

You received a wealth of information from other posters. I sincerely hope you contact some of those resources.

I know depression is very real and painful and often times difficult to cope with on your own. It sounds like you have family nearby that are supporting you and helping the best they can, but depression can feel very lonely. Please remember that you are not alone and things will get better.

Hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Nura777
on 4/10/17 4:40 pm

That's great to hear. I am glad your revision is going well.

Thank you, I am very blessed to have a supportive family.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/17 9:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It would be great if depression could be cured by distractions like books, but mental illness doesn't work that way.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active