Newbie just starting the journey

LMTSC
on 4/29/17 4:34 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I just started this process a week and a half ago. Because I work for the hospital I'm being 'fast tracked' and have already been cleared by Psych and Pulmonary. Monday I finish the cardiac clearance and will only have the EGD left. Talk about a whirlwind.

I'd love any tips and advice on what to do between now and my surgery date. I'm so ready and excited but at the same time nervous and anxious.

bursonc
on 4/29/17 7:11 pm

Don't stock up on a bunch of things to "eat" afterwards. You will not want it or be able to use 1/2 of it. I never had a "why did I do this" thought, but some do.

Yuu will need:

chicken broth, sugar free fruit flavored jello cups, sugar free cherry, grape, orange popsicles, mio water flavoring (put on ice chips) and eat teaspoon amount after surgery for a few days, get gas X strips for the surgical gas pains that try to settle in shoulder or chest after surgery, walk slowly as much as you can after surgery - take it slow but get to walking as soon as you can - up & down hospital hallway. After a couple of weeks you will add sugar free pudding cups, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (order Torini sugar free syrups to add flavor). You'll need a good protein powder to make shakes or get ready made ones. DO NOT stock up on the ready made ones. Your taste preferences may change after surgery. You can add SF pudding powder & Torini sf syrups to protein shakes to improve flavor.

Hope this helps.

LMTSC
on 4/30/17 4:51 am
VSG on 06/29/17

Thank you and yes it helps tremendously to hear what others have done and recommend

bursonc
on 4/29/17 7:12 pm

Congratulations on upcoming surgery!!!

Gwen M.
on 4/29/17 7:18 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're not seeing one already, find a therapist you click with. There's a lot of head stuff to sort out through this process and it's good to have a therapist on your team.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

LMTSC
on 4/30/17 4:48 am
VSG on 06/29/17

thanks. Fortunately I saw an therapist yrs ago that really helped me through some issues so I'll make an appt to see him soon.

Most Active