2 weeks from sleeve

adistacke
on 5/1/17 2:49 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

My surgery was moved up a few days to May 16th so I start my full liquid diet tomorrow. Surgery day will be here before i know it! I'm a nurse and having surgery where i work...dreading the hospital stay so wanted to hear others' experiences. How long did you stay in the hospital after surgery? They try to send you home the following day but told me it depends on how nauseated i am and that it's a 50/50 for staying 1 versus 2 days.

The surgeon's nurse also freaked me out a bit telling me when i'm home that drinking will be a full time job and that I would be lucky to get one protein shake in a day while drinking one ounce every 10-15 minutes. How long did you experience that? Any tips for the first 2 weeks post op?

thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/1/17 2:59 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I had surgery on Tuesday morning, and went home Thursday morning. The first day was bad, probably because of the nauswa from the anesthesia. After that, there were no problems.

Drinking should be your main focus (followed by walking), but don't assume it will be a big problem. I could do three shakes in a day by the time I got home, and could drink more than enough to get in my 64 ounces.

You'll do fine. This will be a distant memory before you know it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

adistacke
on 5/2/17 6:58 am
VSG on 05/16/17

Can't wait until it's a distant memory! Thanks for the response!

Cathy H.
on 5/1/17 5:15 pm, edited 5/1/17 10:17 am
VSG on 10/31/16

In my opinion, unless your surgeon's nurse has been through the surgery, she really doesn't know. Everyone is different. I just passed the 6-month mark since my surgery. I had my surgery at noon on Tuesday, and would have left at noon on Wednesday if I could. I was required to be drinking 6oz an hour before they would let me go, and I was able to do that with no problem. However, my potassium was low (it's always low) so they wouldn't let me go home until it was up. I drank two doses of potassium supplement, and was gone by 7pm.

I didn't have any nausea issues until I started soft foods and that was just because I had been on clear liquids and protein shakes for a total of 3 weeks. I drank 2 protein shakes (30mg protein each) per day for the first week after surgery. Remember, too, that the shakes, as well as water, SF drinks, SF jello, broth, and SF popsicles all count toward your 64oz goal.

You do have to sip, sip, sip to get your liquids in, but it can be done. I don't think I quite made 64oz the first week, but got at least 48-50 most days. By about day 3 I had no problems drinking an ounce every 5 minutes, so don't worry, you'll be fine.

I will say it did feel like drinking was a full-time job those first few days, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Keep that fluid bottle glued to your hand wherever you go.

Best of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

adistacke
on 5/2/17 6:59 am
VSG on 05/16/17

thanks for the response! Looks like you are doing great!

yvranx42
on 5/2/17 1:24 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Right around the corner!

I can share my experience - I had my VSG three months ago. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. I stayed the extra day because I was having trouble keeping my fluids down on the day after surgery, so they kept my IVs going longer than usual.

I won't lie, waking up from surgery and the day after were pretty rough between the pain, nausea, and vomiting. But by the second day, it was already a memory. Drinking got much easier very quickly for me. Now, couldn't be happier!

Good luck on your journey!

Mirandia
on 5/3/17 9:30 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

My surgery was at 9 am and I was released about 5 pm the next day. I was up and walking that first day (didn't pay attention to the time) I did not have a problem drinking water and finished about 20 oz. in the hospital on day 2. I was not nauseous and had no gas pain. I didn't have a problem with protein either, while I didn't chug it down .. I just drank it like normal. I DO have a problem getting my 64 oz of fluid in daily now that I'm eating solids I fill up easily and stay full for a long time. My best days I drink about 50 oz. But to be honest ... I average about 40 oz. a day. I really wouldn't call it a full time job .. just keep a water bottle handy and sip-sip-sip as you're doing other things. As a nurse in the hospital ... know where those fountains are.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views