Medicaid coverage in Louisiana for Gastric Sleeve

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/17 2:11 pm

Does anyone have an updated list of surgeons who accept Medicaid for gastric sleeve in Louisiana. I have been getting a lot of rejection.

Kathy S.
on 5/18/17 2:42 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello Alayna,

I am so sorry, I can't tell you how many calls I get a day from your state with people in tears. There "was" only one surgeon that was taking state medicaid we were aware of, Dr. Dominguez. As of the 1st of May, they no longer take Medicaid.

Dr. Johnny Perez was taking some medicaid patients for WLS, but his primary surgery was not weight loss. Due to the huge volume of WLS patients that came to him after Dr. Dominguez, he is no longer taking new WLS patients. Cheryl in the office said they are trying to get another surgeon in the office and for potential new patients to call in 3 months. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.johnnyperezmd.com

We wish you luck and let us know if we can do anything else to help.

Regards,

Kathy

ObesityHelp Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/17 3:20 pm

Thank you, I called and was told the same thing

Kathy S.
on 5/19/17 10:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am sorry.... hang on the number and call in a few months and hope they get another surgeon. I would also throw a hissy fit with anyone that would listen. The powers that be apparently don't want to help you guys.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/19/17 9:21 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Every time I read about this, I just feel so sad.

To the OP, don't give up. You're worth the effort and fight.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

PrettyVee83
on 5/31/17 10:38 am - Baton Rouge, LA
VSG on 11/17/17

I was told by my Medicaid provider if I found an "out of network" doctor who would agree to do the surgery with a submitted letter from my PCP I could get my surgery approved. The dilemma is no doctor seems to want to do that in Baton Rouge because it isn't worth the little money they actually receive from the procedure. Whatever happened to helping those who are trying to change their lives for the better? Money isn't everything. I've called around and gotten "No" with no hesitation or empathy.

enjoi50
on 10/2/18 7:28 am

Hey ! Following up with how things turned out and if you were able to find a surgeon? I have United healthcare community plan and I need a revision surgery.

tabrielle10
on 2/11/20 12:25 pm

so did you find a physician in Louisiana that will do it? I need the same thing.

Quette43
on 8/9/17 12:34 pm
VSG on 02/23/18

I contacted Dr. Perez office and they indicated it would be 3 months in April and in July its was 8 months. I have contacted Governor John Edwards office and I hope others join me in filing a complaint indicating no doctors in the Baton area and now NO doctors are accepting Medicaid. I understand that Medicaid does pay the doctors enough to perform the surgery. There was a bill to increase the amount- I hope we can get the Governor's support.

Rachestylist88
on 11/16/17 9:49 pm

Do you have any idea the time frame Dr J Perez's office is giving new patients now? My doctor faxed everything over to them and I called for an appointment and she told me that he wasn't opening any new spots yet, but didn't explain anything else. Just curious how long until he'd open up new spots or if there is any other dr's out there? He was the one my primary told me about so I'm new to all of this :/

Most Active