suggestions please

Anita
on 5/21/17 7:42 am

so, since I didn't already have enough to do each day.....yesterday I fell and broke my upper arm......

when I got home from the hospital I tried to get some protein in but each bite made me nauseous....today not much better.....drinking is problematic too but I'm working on water or tea.....have to be careful....last thing I need is to throw up.....just breathing hurts.

has anyone else had this and how long could the nausea last? will talk to my doctor in the AM, but thought I might get some answers here.

Thanks.....

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Donna L.
on 5/21/17 8:21 am, edited 5/21/17 1:21 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh man, I am so sorry :(

It's good you are seeing the doc. If you are becoming dehydrated I would seek out medical care sooner. Dehydration rather than a lack of protein is the immediate concern.

As for the nausea, both pain and pain killers can cause nausea, actually. I'd try to focus on water and staying hydrated. A day of less protein won't hurt in the long run, as the body has protein circulating which is labile. You'd have to have consistently low protein for some time in order for damage to occur. Eventually, the body begins to cannibalize tissues to get it. That's why severe malabsorption can be dangerous if someone does not get adequate protein. For sure, it would help with the healing, though, so hopefully the doctor will be able to help.

Feel better soon...

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Anita
on 5/21/17 11:44 am

I was less than impressed with the ortho doc at the hospital last night....will see my own doc first yhing tomorrow....in the meanwhile, I'm sipping as much as possible......not getting as much water as usual but at this rate I should be able to get in close to what I need.....am sleeping a lot too

thanks for the response

CC C.
on 5/21/17 8:22 am

Pain can cause nausea, but pain meds can too. I've never broken a major bone before, but a kidney stone had me vomiting from the pain. Adding insult to injury sums it up! I don't have any suggestions other than staying on top of your pain meds or maybe asking the doctor for something different if you suspect the pain medication is making you feel queasy. Take care and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Anita
on 5/21/17 11:49 am

thanks! I'm not as nauseous as last night or this morning......so the meds are not as terrible as I feared....but solids don't want to sit well, so I'll try again tomorrow after I see the ortho and talk to my surgeon.....in the meanwhile I'm paying close attention to water.

Smallbites2015
on 5/21/17 12:14 pm

Could be the pain meds. Need Zofran!!! Call surgeon if not better

Anita
on 5/21/17 1:00 pm

thanks.....much better today.....dense foods are still problematic today....going to stay with lite stuff for now... nd lots of water

Readyjwc
on 5/22/17 5:29 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Oh Anita - I'm so sorry for you! I wish I knew what could make you feel better.....

I hope that you get relief from the pain soon and that you're able to feel better soon.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views