Does anyone regret having the vsg

Hopeful_128
on 5/21/17 11:15 pm
VSG on 05/15/17

I am a week out from surgery having the VSG and I am asking myself what have I done. Everyone else that I know that has had the surgery had no issues. I on the other had am having severy gas pains and I mean severe to the point where I am scared to drink because it brings on gas. I am concerned about proper protein intake and don't want to fall behind but I am having allot of problems simply sipping fluids. I ask myself what have I done. This can't be the norm. Although a week had gone by I still suffer. I had to stay in the hospital and extra day because they were afraid I would get dehydrated because I could only take a couple of sips a day. Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel...

Gwen M.
on 5/22/17 9:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It is common for people to wonder what they've done to themselves while they're in the immediate healing process. It sucks, there's pain, you're not seeing results, etc.. but I have seen very few people here, of the thousands I've seen come and go, *****gret their surgery long term.

For the gas - walk as much as you can. That will help the internal gas to dissipate.

Take small sips of water. You might try a straw as some of the gas might be from swallowing too much air when you drink. For some people a straw can help with this.

Don't worry so much about the protein now - work on getting your fluids in. Fluids are your job.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ThatMeanOne
on 5/22/17 9:21 am
VSG on 08/22/16

Totally what Gwen said...

i know how you feel - I didn't have gas but I had a lot of nausea and pretty bad pain in the muscle under one of my incisions. Plus I couldn't stomach the protein and I really, really hated even the thought of food - which made me sad because it had been a friend for so long.

Gwen is absolutely correct - fluids are your job. Get those in, walk around as much as you can and be kind to yourself.

Other than that all I can tell you is that if you work on your head and stick to your program you will see results and this will change your life

Might not seem like it now but in a month or two you are going to look back and wonder why you ever questioned this surgery.

Keep your chin up and remember that this is the first step toward great things.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/22/17 9:21 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Try different temperatures of water. Some people have trouble with cold, and drinking warm or ho****er reduces the gas and makes it easier to handle.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/17 9:45 am, edited 5/22/17 2:45 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I think almost everyone feels some level of regret in the immediate post-op period. Sooner than you think, you are going to feel basically back to normal with the addition of the exciting expectation that every day you are going to feel lighter and healthier! I sucked on ice for a couple of days after surgery and that helped keep me hydrated as well as reduced stomach inflammation. Afterwards, I found warm liquids to be much easier to drink than cold. I also used a lot of gas-ex strips for the first two weeks!

Nikke2003
on 5/22/17 10:17 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

What you are feeling is common. You just had major surgery, everything is new, and it is common to second guess yourself. I personally didn't have those feelings, but I have been on these boards for about 5 years now and I have seen a post like this a million times. Don't worry, you are not alone. I hope in another week or two you start to feel better. In the end, it's all definitely worth it!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

redhead65
on 5/22/17 10:27 am
VSG on 05/19/17

It is 4 days since my surgery. Day 2 sucked and I thought I had made a huge mistake. Today is way better, but I still can't handle cold drinks at all. Still, I don't regret it because I know it will get better and I know why I made this decision. Everyone will heal/adjust at their own rate. Feel free to message me if you want to chat.

theAntiChick
on 5/22/17 6:06 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Ditto what everyone else said. I had an easy recovery, but found that I needed to try different temperatures/methods of fluid intake to find the best way to get my fluids in. Whatever else you do GET THE FLUIDS in. Dehydration is the single most common complication post-op, and IVs aren't any fun (says the ex-ER nurse).

I found that freezing the clear protein drinks (I liked Syntrax nectar roadside lemonade best) into freeze-pop type tubes helped me get protein and fluid down. I needed to change it up sometimes and get something not sweet in, and would put protein powder in chicken bouillon. For a while I couldn't take water ice cold like I normally like it, but it couldn't be room temperature, it had to be just cool. And I needed flavoring in it, but not a lot of flavoring... I found the right mix with the Mio-style drops. And at first it was almost just taking in droppers-ful it seemed, barely any at all, but I did it constantly. Any more would hurt, but I gradually could take more and more at a time, and after a few weeks was able to take normal small swallows of water. This part does get better pretty quickly, just keep trying different temperatures, flavors, sweet, savory, whatever, until you find what works for you.

I have had the occasional thought of what did I do to myself, but it passed.

I'm 9 months out, hit 100# loss today. I have several chronic conditions that have given me grief over the last few months, but it's been better with less weight than it would have been. My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago.

Hang in there, it gets better.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Hopeful_128
on 5/22/17 6:54 pm
VSG on 05/15/17

Hi everyone you don't know how much better your words have made me feel. I was really wondering what have i done to myself. Had my 1 week post op visit today and they are also concerned about the amount of fluid I am able to get in they feel as if I am nowhere near the amount that I need to get in on a daily basis my mission tonight is to try to get as much fluids in as I possibly can otherwise I will need to go to hospital to have an IV place in fluids intravenously. No fun! I am still very weak therefore still am not allowed to drive. The pain sometimes is debilitating your words felt like a lifeline. Thanks for all the suggestions I will definitely try them to see what works best for me.

purduebaby12
on 5/22/17 10:24 pm

Considering I'm a newbie I feel your pain!!! Literally I feel the pain...lol it gets better... I'll be one month out tomorrow and some days are good some days are bad I have had mostly trouble with pain in my largest incision it hurts to sit or stand and as I stated I'm a month out... but this is my journey for now. Often times we compare our journey with others and come up short... start to feel there is something wrong...when instead we need to look in the mirror and take ownership for our own journey... I know that I have been doing way more then I should (I lifted a table to fix the legs, caused pain...I went to the store and instead of pushing a cart I used the basket...got way more then 10lbs pain) I AM SAYING THIS TO SAY WE GOT THIS!! we may need to change some things to make OUR (your own) journey better but its yours alone. So have you set a timer and took sips ever 10-15min? do you carry your water EVERY where? Have you tried gas x for the gas (that's what worked for me) OR talked to YOUR DR.? All in all it will get better you just have to try new things and figure it out as you go we can all give suggestion and maybe you'll try 35...try again the 36th may be the one that works best for you. I COMEPLETELY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I have cry at least 3 times but its better then it was and its getting better as I go! YOU GOT THIS! Hugs it's okay to feel how you feel most of use felt the same or similar one day at a time! Positive vides and good vibrations!!

Most Active