Band to VSG scheduled for 06/06/17 & I'm nervous/scared...is that normal?

Vangelina
on 5/22/17 2:12 am
Revision on 06/06/17

Hello! I'm scheduled for surgery on 06/06/17 & I'm really nervous...way more than when I had lapband...is this normal?

Gwen M.
on 5/22/17 9:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's totally normal. I'd imagine that the extra nerves might come from having done WLS one and now having to do it again. I don't know what you're feeling, but I can imagine that I might be feeling a lot of "this didn't work the first time, why will it work this time" or "I had all of these complications with the lap-band, what if I have to go through that all over again with the sleeve?" Etc, etc.

So.. yeah, it seems totally reasonable to me that you'd be nervous! Are you seeing a therapist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Vangelina
on 5/22/17 10:48 am
Revision on 06/06/17

Thank you Gwen.

I'm seeing a therapist for binge eating disorder to deal with the mental stuff.

I am meeting with my surgeon today for my pre-op and will discuss with him.

it is disappointing to have "failed" with the band, but I also don't think I was mentally prepared last time. I didn't go through insurance with the lapband and since I was paying for it myself, I didn't need to go through all I did for my revision.

I do feel better today

thank you for your response.

Mirandia
on 5/22/17 2:21 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I wouldn't consider you a failure with the band ... I personally see the band as a bad product with too high of a long term failure rate and too many complications. To be considered a success a patient needs to lose half of their extra weight ... and typically that means they will still be overweight/obese because our BMI needs to be so high in order to even qualify for the surgery. While the sleeve is too new of a surgery to have the same level of long term studies done, it has already proven to provide a larger average weight loss. To make it even clearer ... many surgeons don't even offer the lap band as an option.

Most Active