VSG for Over 50 Patient with Bad Back

TexLex100
on 5/24/17 11:05 am, edited 5/27/17 4:41 pm

Hello friends,

I am a long time lurker but this is my first post. I am a 52 year old male with four (failed) back surgeries. My BMI is just above 35, but I am planning to do the VSG with the hope that aggressive weight loss may help me avoid a fifth (dreaded fusion) surgery.

I wondered if any other members have had this procedure after the age of 50 and what your experiences were.

I am also very concerned by the need to exercise 3-5 times a week since my back is pretty messed up, so I am concerned that my inability to exercise may jeopardize my weight loss afterwards.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gwen M.
on 5/24/17 1:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

There are many people here who are 50+ and have had great success with VSG!

Why do you think you need to exercise 3-5 times a day? That's.. a new one to me. Yes, walking as much as possible post-op will help the surgical laparoscopic gas to dissipate. And movement is great for your cardiovascular health in general. But to lose weight you "just" need a caloric deficit and you can do that without exercise if necessary.

For your situation, it might be wise to see a physical therapist as you lose weight to help your back, and the rest of your skeletal/muscular systems, adapt to your "new" body.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TexLex100
on 5/24/17 1:32 pm

Many thanks for the reply Gwen. It is reassuring hat the surgeries worked for people over the age of 50.

As for the exercise 3-5 times a week, this is what the bariatric surgeon indicated ad a condition of success, plus maintaining food portion control.

TexLex100
on 5/24/17 2:07 pm

Apologies. I mis-typed in my original message as exercise 3-5 times a day whereas it should be 3-5 times a week! Sorry about that. But for me, and because of my degenerative disc disease in the lower spine, and intense sciatic pains, I probably won't be able to exercise 3-5 times a week. Best wishes.

jenorama
on 5/24/17 2:57 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh, haha, you were replying while I was replying! :D I used to have really bad sciatica, so I can (literally) feel your pain! Bear in mind that exercise can be a walk around the block. You don't have to go to a gym and throw your body around and you definitely don't want to do more than you can handle.

Jen

Gwen M.
on 5/24/17 5:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely work with a physical therapist to help you figure out what movement you CAN add to your life :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 5/24/17 2:54 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Your bariatric surgeon seems to have some odd ideas. When it comes to weight loss, it's pretty much 80% diet and 20% exercise. I didn't really do any exercise after my RNY and I lost over 160 lbs.

Since you already have back issues, it's probably a good idea to work with a physical therapist over the course of your weight loss. A lot of people with back issues find that they get a worse as you lose weight because your body is getting used to the new shape and using muscles that haven't been used in a long time. Your balance can also be thrown off and you want to make sure that you're well-prepared so you don't accidentally injure yourself and exacerbate your condition.

I've had chronic lower back and shoulder issues since my early 20's and I'm happy to report that my back and shoulder are much better now with only occasional flareups. Unfortunately I've done some permanent damage, but I'm not making it worse anymore. Good luck with your journey!

Jen

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/24/17 3:06 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. At least not at first.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

hollykim
on 5/24/17 3:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 24, 2017 at 6:05 PM Pacific Time, TexLex100 wrote:

Hello friends,

I am a long time lurker but this is my first post. I am a 52 year old male with four (failed) back surgeries. My BMI is just above 35, but I am planning to do the VSG with the hope that aggressive weight loss may help me avoid a fifth (dreaded fusion) surgery.

I wondered if any other members have had this procedure after the age of 50 and what your experiences were.

I am also very concerned by the need to exercise 3-5 times a day since my back is pretty messed up, so I am concerned that my inability to exercise may jeopardize my weight loss afterwards.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had surgery in late 50's, lost and maintained the loss oh 122#,for 7 years, with no exercise

psychoticparrot
on 5/24/17 7:08 pm

Hi TexLex100,

I had my band-to-sleeve revision when I was 63yo (I'm 65 now). Pre-surgery, my back pain was so severe I could stand upright for only 5 minutes at a time. I never had any back surgery, so my experience may not parallel yours, but my back pain disappeared after I lost my first 50 pounds (out of 150 pounds).

Whatever is causing your back pain will benefit from weight loss, but there are no guarantees. I lost 150 pounds without any structured exercise program. I can walk, do errands and housework without any back pain. If I can ever commit to a structured exercise program, I'm sure I would see ever more benefits.

Check with your physiotherapist to find an exercise routine that will not stress your back. I'm sure he/she will have some good suggestions.

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active