Clearly a Controversial Topic

Donna L.
on 5/29/17 2:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am thinking of training a therapy dog for my work with WLS patients. So, I am about to ask one of the world's most controversial questions:

What is the best dog to own?

Obviously the answer is: pembroke welsh corgi. However, despite my absolute, subjective, and irrational certainty, it's still good to note other opinions!

Empirical proof regarding my assertion:

Image result for tiny welsh corgi

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CC C.
on 5/29/17 3:52 pm, edited 5/29/17 8:53 am

For once I disagree with you, Donna! While that corgi is adorable as anything, the golden retriever is by FAR the best dog on the planet. They can make great therapy dogs.

I was talking to a dog trainer about how to pick a puppy to be a therapy dog and she said, while you can't know for sure, one test is to see if you can hold the puppy like a baby with its paws in the air for a length of time. The more docile and willing to lay like that, the calmer the temperament. Of the last 3 goldens my family has had, only one was comfortable being held like that. He would sleep in my arms for an hour on his back, paws outstretched. He would make a perfect therapy dog! So calm, loves to be touched, obedient... The others, while wonderful dogs wouldn't be held like that for a second. One is constantly in motion, can't sit still, and gets into all sorts of doggie trouble. The other one, my sweet dog, is stubborn as a mule and up until about the time he was 7 wouldn't have been a good therapy dog due to his rough and tumble play style.

Best of luck with your search! Dogs are amazing creatures.

Donna L.
on 5/29/17 5:49 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh, they are great dogs! I admit I just want an excuse to get a corgi... lol.

I've worked with service dogs before. Goldens are totally fabulous as service dogs, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jakosaurus
on 6/2/17 6:13 am
VSG on 08/07/17

We tried this test with a lab/poodle mix puppy. She was the most docile thing ever and would let you hold her like a baby as long as you wanted. Unfortunately, it turned out that was because she had parvo and was in the process of dying. We managed to nurse her back to health ($5000 and 4 weeks of waking up every 2 hours to give her subcutaneous fluid injections later) but then her docileness completely went away. Her lab nature plus the possibly the parvo giving her brain damage made her the sweetest dumb as rocks dog you could ever meet, but she was never able to learn that she was bigger than the kids and so couldn't jump up on them to play. We ended up having to send her to a farm to live (not euphemistically, we rehomed her with a nice retired couple who own a farm).

Now we have 2 rescue Yorkie-poos who want nothing more than to cuddle in your lap. Much more our style.

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

jenorama
on 5/29/17 4:38 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

If you're looking for a therapy dog, I am going to suggest a retired racing greyhound. We had one for nine years from the time he was three until he passed away at 12. You might think, "A greyhound? Aren't they hyperactive and need to run all the time?" The exact opposite is true. They are sprinters, bred to get all of their energy out in a very short burst. The rest of the time is spent sleeping and hanging out wth their people and being mellow and adorable.

I became very good friends with the woman that placed our greyhound with us and through the years she's had several and has done some sort of therapy work with them all. One dog used to visit the head trauma ward at a local hospital, she used to take one of her dogs to juvenile hall for the older kids to play with. Currently one of her dogs does a program where children read out loud to the dog to build their confidence. She's posted pictures of a child leaning on the sleeping greyhound.

They love people and being petted. They do the "greyhound lean" which is just the best thing ever. They're an unusual dog and can be a good talking point for people who are nervous about therapy. You can look up their racing history for even further talking points. Unless you really WANT to go through the puppy stage, adopting an adult dog that's already house and leash-trained is very easy. Saving a life is always a bonus.

Below is a picture of my Gus. :D

Jen

Donna L.
on 5/29/17 5:51 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh man, they are beautiful dogs. I...actually don't think I've seen one in person now that you mention it. I may harass you for more greyhound info at some point, Jen!

And Gus is totally gorgeous. I would so ask to pet him if I could :3

jenorama
on 5/29/17 8:32 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

A lot of people have never actually seen one in person. When we had ours, we did a ton of show and tells at local craft fairs. When we went out and about with Gus, we had a pocket full of flyers to give to people. Several times when we were out shopping, I'd leave Gus with my husband and when I came out of the store, he'd be surrounded with people. We've had people break down crying in front of us because we gave a retired greyhound a home.

They are so low maintenance, they don't shed a lot, they don't smell and they are incredibly soft and sleek. If you check out Greyhound Pets of America, you can find a local chapter in your area. Many of them post where they'll be having meet and greets.

If my husband hadn't wanted a smaller dog, we probably would have gotten another one after Gus passed. But now we have a dachshund mix that we rescued from the pound and he's our boy, but there are times when I wish he was more like Gus!

Jen

Cathy H.
on 5/29/17 5:03 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I have to agree with you on this one, Donna! Who wouldn't love one of those wiggly little butts cruising along in front of them? lol

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Bufflehead
on 5/29/17 6:03 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I work with rescue collies and many of the dogs from our rescue go on to get certified as therapy dogs. As a rule they are calm, loving, and really enjoy spending time with people. Plus they are gorgeous and people love spending time with them too!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/29/17 6:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If I was ever trapped at the bottom of a well, it's the only dog I would depend on.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views