Full Liquids

dondomit
on 6/6/17 11:39 am

Well, surgery came and went, now I am on the losers bench!!

I have a question for ya's. I am on my full liquids stage now for 3 more weeks. my liquids have been pretty easy to get in and I feel no real restriction on them, I am assuming because they just pass through the stomach? when I eat yogurt the full feeling stays around for a while.

does the real restriction hit when I get to the solid foods phase?

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin' 

CC C.
on 6/6/17 11:48 am

It will! Don't worry. Be glad you're one who can get liquids down easily (I was too). Food will feel totally different.

purduebaby12
on 6/6/17 12:05 pm, edited 6/6/17 5:06 am

Omg..... YES!!! When you start to eat heavier foods you will feel it! I never felt full when I was on liquids and pureed a little but now that I am on solids I feel it I avoid being over full by measuring my food..so If you haven't already...get yourself a digital scale this will help you not over eat. Your eye are way bigger then your stomach so you will make really small plates and still have to much food!! My suggestion is go by your Dr.'s plan mine is 3oz so I weigh my food and I don't even try to go over...in the first week I was off pureed I hated to eat because at the time I didn't have a scale so I was guessing I would eat and have to walk around with my hands up just to try to get the food down...not that doesn't happen there are times I know one more bite with have that uncomfortable full feeling and I avoid it like the plague!!!! WELCOME TO THE LOSERS BENCH!

Knitter215
on 6/6/17 1:00 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Yes it changes. When I shifted from full liquid to purees, whi*****luded scrambled eggs on my plan, I was so excited for that egg. I ate two bites. TWO BITES and then felt like I was going to die. When you start on anything beyond yogurt, go very slowly and chew well and leave time between bites.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Donna L.
on 6/6/17 1:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You will not have real restriction for some time, as the nerves in the stomach are severed during surgery and take several months to heal. They can take a few months, or even up to a year, to regenerate. That's why measuring is so important.

Often with soft and solid foods the "restriction" is actually pressure on the esophagus and bottom valve for a long time. This is a theory, because my restriction came back about a year after surgery (Harvey is a grumpy sleeve and took his time) and boy howdy, that was uncomfortable. It sure works now at least!

Actual restriction is far from comfortable, in my experience. Most of us have a "full feeling" which happens long before restriction. Also, everyone's sleeve is also different, too. Fullness like we knew it is a thing of the past though. It's an entirely different creature now.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Mary S.
on 6/6/17 2:02 pm - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
Welcome to the loser's bench!!! I just got off full liquids and I'm on puree, I find that 2 to three bites and I'm full. All of the replies have been spot on, slow down, take small bites, and don't be in a hurry to get to solids, I tried a little something and got sick, now I am more careful. There is a lot of healing that must take place. best of luck to you.

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views