When is the earliest can one travel after being sleeved?

TexLex100
on 6/18/17 10:04 pm, edited 6/18/17 10:04 pm

I was wondering when can one travel after the sleeve surgery. Assuming I get approved by the insurance company (hopefully soon), the scheduling will depend, among many other factors, on when I can travel afterwards. My work requires me to travel (very) long distances (total flight hours of around 18 hours!). Besides the logistical difficulty of having protein shakes and blender (in The countries whete I travel) I was wondering about the physical stress of the travel itself.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 6/18/17 10:29 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I had surgery on a Monday morning in Mexico and on Wednesday flew home to Oregon. I was back to work the following Tuesday after salmon fishing the day before.

TexLex100
on 6/18/17 10:34 pm

Wow! This is impressive! Thanks for the info. I hope mine goes as smoothly.

Mirandia
on 6/19/17 12:33 am
VSG on 03/14/17

For me the only problem I had was standing up and sitting back down again (movements that used the abdominal muscles that had stitches) But I could still do it ... just with some pain. The best way to describe it ... it was like a pulled muscle. I had no problems doing anything else I was up and walking a few hours after I woke up from surgery.

As for making your protein shakes in other countries without a blender ... look into getting a "blender bottle" Those are bottles with a tight seal and a whisking ball inside ... so you just shake the bottle to blend it.

MissNexxie
on 6/19/17 6:32 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I would definitely check with your surgeon this, first and foremost.

That said, given the long distances you travel, risks of blood clots after surgery plus immobility on a plane and the likely lifting you'll be doing (briefcase, carry on, suitcase) I'd say give yourself at least 3 weeks, tho I'd go with 4 weeks because I'm cautious in nature. Lifting restrictions, I believe, are for 4-6 weeks - nothing heavier than 5-7 lbs.

What a lot of people forget is that although this is now laparoscopic surgery and you only see tiny incisions on your outside belly (vs. before when it was a long incision), you are still having a major part of your body cut up and stitched. It needs time to repair without strain. Let your body heal on the outset so you can resume your hectic schedule without further complications later on. Going back to a desk job would be different than your situation. I'd be most worried about the lifting once your past the blood clot time frame.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

TexLex100
on 6/19/17 9:40 am

Many thanks for the detailed advice. You raised many excellent points that I was not considering. Cheers.

MissNexxie
on 6/19/17 10:37 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm the type who examines stuff from all angles & feel its better to err on the side of caution so you can make the most informed decision regarding timing/recovery. The more time you afford yourself immediately post-op means you'll heal better/faster than if you try to do too much too soon and never quite get all the rest you need. Especially, when you know that when you do go back to work it'll be 'balls to the wall'. Likely no such thing as 'modified activities' when traveling, taking meetings, dealing with time changes, long hours, etc.

The other thing that impacted me was fatigue. I found I was very tired that first month. Likely due to healing process, plus the limited foods your body is getting accustomed to so keep that in mind. Still, it's an exciting time and once you're past recovery it's a great experience and you will feel rejuvenated. Good luck!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Valerie G.
on 6/19/17 12:37 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

For traveling on your own, keep in mind that you cannot lift/push/pull anything more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, so considering your luggage and laptop alone, you may want to stay grounded for a couple of months.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active