Updates and Struggles

little_a
on 6/25/17 7:20 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great, relaxing weekend. Mine was spent at the beach and at my city's first annual block party. As for updates on my VSG, things are going well. I have one more day of liquids and then it's pureed. I am looking forward to trying cauliflower mash and ricotta bakes. My weight has increased from 243.2 to 244.2. I don't know what is caused it because I am getting all my protein, meal replacements, and water in. I am walking 10,000 steps a day but not vigorously exercising because my incisions still hurt and my workout pants rub them.

It really scares me because I know a VSG doesn't work on some people and if I am already gaining weight, then what can I expect? Am I just hitting my first stall? How do I jumpstart this again? Also, should I switch my protein shakes with milk to ones mixed with water? Maybe I am taking in too much dairy. I am not sure what is happening but I am working really hard not to get discouraged.

That is mostly what I am struggling with at the moment.

I go back to work tomorrow and I am excited to see all my coworkers. Maybe once I get back into my active routine of constantly walking at work and working out, I will see some pounds come off.

Lemme know how your weekend went!

Best,

A

22 year old college girl. VSG weight - 255 HW - 282 GW - Healthy.

Amalilly
on 6/25/17 8:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 05/23/17

1st, take a deep breath. 2nd you JUST had major, MAJOR surgery. Your body is in shock and will require some time to heal. Our surgeons here ask us to to take a full month off work, not just one week.

I am just 32 days post-op and only now feel like I have things in hand. My first week was awesome too. Then I started weaning myself off of the pain meds (a little too quickly so I discovered).

About week 2 the scar tissue started forming and I was in more pain than I had been the previous week. Then as I introduced new foods and textures I became terribly nauseous, barely able to move or eat a thing... again I'd gone to far too fast.

Your weight gain concern is real because it feels real but is it really realistic? ANY normal healing response is swelling... swelling is a gathering of water (and much more). Swelling is like 'retaining' water. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about going back to work so soon after such a major procedure.

Best of luck. I look forward to your posts as you move along.

Weights: HW 370, SW 336, GW 180 (fantasy 145), CW 268.1 (pre surgery -34, M1- 26, M2- 16)
Dates: Referral - Aug 26, 2015, Info Class - Dec 4, Optifast - May 2nd, 2017, Surgery - May 23rd

Surgeon: Dr. J.D. Yelle, Ottawa, ON

little_a
on 6/26/17 7:50 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

Thank you, this really helped me.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/26/17 4:59 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

If you are following your surgeons plan and taking in a low number of calories you will lose, but weight can fluctuate from day to day. I only weighed monthly (on my surgiversary date) while losing so I wouldn't make myself crazy. I now weigh daily (in maintenance) and it is a real eye-opener to see how much my weight can change daily. Sometimes my weight will go up every day for a few days even though my calories haven't, then it will drop right down (sometimes to less than before it started up). Could be water retention or other bathroom retention, but regardless it does vary so you have to anticipate that when weighing daily while you are in the loss phase.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

little_a
on 6/26/17 7:50 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

Okay, thank you! This helped.

still2cute
on 6/27/17 7:10 am - Antioch, TN

Off subject, but did you have to pay out of pocket for the tummy tuck? I was wondering if insurance would pay.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/27/17 7:37 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I paid out of pocket (and didn't ask my insurer), as I did not have enough of a panni to cause rashes.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

still2cute
on 6/27/17 12:58 pm - Antioch, TN

Ok. Thanks.

CC C.
on 6/26/17 5:27 am

My first stall was at about 2.5 weeks. I was the same weight for 9 days. It'll be okay. Just keep doing what your plan tells you to do!

little_a
on 6/26/17 7:51 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

Thank you :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views