4 years out - Coming to terms with myself and my weightloss/gain

solea78
on 7/17/17 1:31 pm - Canada

Im sure my story is like many others - Ive had weight problems my whole life - always overweight. I Had VSG surgery January 2014. My starting weight was 284 pounds - my lowest weight after VSG was 207.4 pounds in September of that year and have gradually regained and am now at 240 pounds. I think the hardest part of this journey for me is ignoring the fact that I have an eating problem. I still get full easily - but all of my old issues stilll exist to this day, which is why Ive regained. I am a binge eater. I still drink alcohol, I still eat chips and snack between meals. I hide my eating from others and will eat until I feel sick. I will stop and get a Jr. chicken and eat it on my way home by myself, and then eat supper once I get there. The problem with my eating has not gone away and I guess I part of me writing this post is to acknowledge this so that I can move forward again and take control of my eating and my life. I saw a picture of myself on facebook that was taken 3 years ago - at around my lowest weight, and I didn't recognize myself...it was a defining moment that I was on my way to a healthier me and I let food wreck that for me. Ive booked an appointment with a psychologist to help me with the mental piece- I just hope that my VSG tool can still provide me with a bit of a helping hand in overcoming this lifelong struggle.

Gwen M.
on 7/17/17 1:40 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi there and welcome.

I can't offer you any suggestions because it sounds like you're already taking the steps you need to take. It's great that you have an appointment with a psychologist (therapist?), you might also consider a psychiatrist.

The good news to me is that it seems like you know what your challenges are and what you need to work on - that's great self-awareness to have, even if you wish you didn't have those challenges to overcome! The other good news is that, yes, you still have your VSG. Your stomach is still smaller than it was before you had VSG. Even if the post-VSG stomach can stretch, it's not going to stretch back to the size it was before! And, clearly, you still have restriction as you say you "still get full easily."

The mental stuff is hard. But with a good team on your side, you'll be able to get where you want to be.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 7/17/17 3:32 pm - Warren, OH

It is like Nike - Just Do It. Starting is the hardest part. Track everything and weigh daily. Seeing the weight come off will keep you motivated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mrsgillis333
on 7/17/17 8:03 pm

I have a lot of similarities to you. I think I need to see a therapist too...

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views