Low Iron Levels

stinklily
on 7/19/17 4:25 am

It has been almost 3 months since my surgery and I am struggling with low iron levels. They just increased my iron intake to twice a day. I feel terrific, not tired or sluggish. From what I've read, this seems like a normal thing after gastric surgery.

MissNexxie
on 7/19/17 6:53 am
VSG on 04/30/14

This is definitely a post-op reality for many of us and if you had low iron before surgery it's more of a struggle afterward. I deal with this, too. My doctor initially prescribed me daily Pallafer 300 mg iron supplements but they were way to hard on my stomach. I'm now on Feramax 150mg Hemanitic iron daily and no stomach issues at all. It's not a prescription but it is dispensed by the pharmacist.

I also take a prenatal multivitamin daily to help with other levels. I couldn't tolerate the Bariatric Advantage multivitamins.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Jennergy
on 7/19/17 7:11 am
VSG on 07/10/17

I found out right before surgery that I was extremely deficient in iron. So much so, that I had to have 2 iron infusions. I am 1 week post op and feel tired, so I'm thinking I should supplement with extra iron.

You could increase your iron-rich foods too. Good luck with it!

stinklily
on 7/19/17 7:25 am

I had never had issues with low iron before surgery. My energy levels are great, but it seems my iron level is still too low. So far so good with no stomach issues. Thanks for your feedback.

Oneillch
on 7/19/17 4:05 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

If you haven't been doing so already, you might want to take a multi-vitamin specifically for women or add "iron-rich" foods such as spinach, or beans & lentils (jus****ch the carbs) to your diet.

Most Active