Celiac and dairy intolerant people before surgery....

One-derland
on 7/25/17 8:38 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

Hello to All You Beautiful "losers" my question is kind of different. I am approximately 3 months out for my surgery I've already lost five of the 19 pounds required. My doctor seems to think I'm a good candidate for th RNY procedure I kind of disagree I think the sleeve maybe safer option. Approximately 5 years ago I was diagnosed as a Celiac and in recent months I have noticed I also am Dairy intolerant as well. With this being said I feel my intestinal tract may already be damaged. I am struggling on whar procedure may be safer for me. Really curious if anybody else has a similar situation on how they made their choice and how they are recovering from their procedure. I'm also interested in anybody has NF1 to see how they have recovered as well.

Fredbear
on 7/25/17 9:46 pm, edited 7/25/17 2:46 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I've been lactose intolerant since I was a very small child; if anything, my lactose intolerance has gotten much better since surgery... I regularly consume dairy products, including protein shakes, with no deleterious effects.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

One-derland
on 7/27/17 4:39 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

I hope this is true!!! I miss milk! Thank you for giving me hope!

Gwen M.
on 7/26/17 7:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would recommend posting this on the RNY forum as well.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

One-derland
on 7/29/17 4:47 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

I just did thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/17 8:32 am

Are lactose intolerant or have dairy proteins sensitivities ? Often celiac and dairy sensitivities goes hand with hand.

I either had, or I developed dairy allergies and intolerance/sensitivities to grains. Dairy allergies - as allergic to dairy proteins. A lot of time people think diary intolerance has to do with lactose intolerance - when in fact those are 2 different things. I did not tested positive for celiac, but really bothers my system. Even gluten free items are not always safe for me. There are some theories that some of us may be sensitive not only to gluten - but to other components in grain- "lectins"

(Lectins are a type of protein that can bind to cell membranes. They are sugar-binding and become the "glyco" portion of glycoconjugates on the membranes. Lectins offer a way for molecules to stick together without getting the immune system involved, which can influence cell-cell interaction.)

I also have soy allergies.

Life can be interesting at times - but I manage quite well. there are other proteins out there that i can tolerate if I need them. Egg whites, Vegan proteins (soy free)- like Vega, or Orgain.

if you tolerate soy - soy proteins can be an option.

Long term - I eat meats and veggies, some fruits. Paleo type diets are great for me, as long as i chose the lower carbs diets. I call that paleo-keto. With so many people eating low carbs, Paleo type diet - even eating out is no longer an issues.

Since I really should not eat grains - or dairy - diet like that actually helps me to maintain my weight. I eat nuts, seeds, eggs, meats and veggies. There are even some protein bars that I can buy if I need some quick - or travel food.

I really like website Against all Grain: againstallgrain.com and i do have a few of her books - but most recipes is available on the website.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

One-derland
on 7/27/17 4:56 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

I have done very little research on keto, but I have heard great things.... I have also "tried" paleo but.... I look to many fake foods!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 29 views