Starting My Journey

Leanne1703
on 7/29/17 9:21 pm, edited 7/29/17 9:29 pm
VSG on 02/06/18

Hi all! I have been poking around and reading for a few weeks, but haven't interacted much yet. A little background info, I'm a 32 year old mother of 2 (6 yo Girl and a 2 yo Boy). I have been overweight my whole life. My mother had the gastric bypass 17 years ago. My best friend had it 8 years ago (the beautiful bride in my profile picture is my best friend !) My Aunt had it as well...and my cousin had the lap-band. My mother and best friend have been very successful. I feel like I'm at an advantage, because I am surrounded by so many people who have had WLS . I know this is NOT a magic wand. It is a tool, and you still have to earn your success! ...That being said...i never thought I'd even look into this...i never thought it would come to this point. I love to exercise!!! ....buuut I love food just as much...ok, maybe a little more...anyway...i have to gain like 3 lbs by Monday at 5pm (my PCP appt) to hit a BMI of 40...of course, when I WANT to, I can't. I have stopped running and have been eating anything I "want"...not making healthy choices...and i feel it...ugh. anyway...Im nervous my PCP won't make the referral for the bariatric center, because this will be the 1st time I've ever seen this provider. So fingers crossed for that. So that appt is Monday, and then Wednesday I'll be attending the bariatric surgery seminar...which is required before the 1st consult. I'm looking into the sleeve. I know 3 who have had it so far...and 1 that is in the process. I'm ready to be healthy. I'm ready to not be exhausted all the time. To be able to sit and play with my kids on the floor. To feel comfortable in my own skin...

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 1:11 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Welcome and congrats! I found lots of good advice hre. Read everything you can.

Gwen M.
on 7/30/17 5:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!

When I was pre-op I read everything here that I could - all the old posts I had access to. So much valuable information and I learned a lot about what to expect and prepare for.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Leanne1703
on 7/30/17 6:06 am
VSG on 02/06/18

I have definitely found that already! I'm up to the wee hours of the night mostly every night reading posts! I have a co-worker who's wife is 2.5 years post op with VSG and she wrote a blog along the way...i just got done reading that too! That was super helpful!

FluffyChix
on 7/30/17 6:02 am

Welcome! I'm a newbie also! Just had my consult on the 20th and have my barium swallow tomorrow. Gulp! It's awesome that you have so much support around you from successful veterans. I think that would be invaluable! Good luck on the referral and look forward to knowing you better.

FluffyChix
on 7/30/17 6:03 am

Ugh, edited to add "successful veterans around you in real life." Because of course, we are so blessed to now be members of this OH family that is jam-packed with successful veterans!

ChLamp
on 7/30/17 10:03 am

I'm a newbie too! Had my first pre-op appt with the dietician on 7/26. I have to see him for 6 months. Next week is my endoscopy.

Good luck!

ChLamp
on 7/30/17 10:06 am

I hope you two don't mind but I, going to send you a friend request since we'll be close in our journeys ?

diane S.
on 7/30/17 11:01 am

Welcome to OH. This site was my guidepost 8 years ago when I was learning about this stuff. Back then there were not so many sleevers and I really had to search for information. Keep at it. Read my blog page here on OH for a detailed chronicle of the process. GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ShirlAus
on 7/30/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Welcome Leanne1703

Good luck on your journey. Its a huge step but you wont regret it

You will find this forum very helpful and encouraging. I know I have. I joined a few weeks before my surgery after searching in vain for anything like this in Australia. We just dont have the same level of forums etc. I am 5 weeks out and visit this site every day. Its a wealth of information and helps you feel very supported.

I was like you, I read and researched so much before making this decision and I have no regrets. I down 35lbs since my pre op diet and every day is another step closer to a healthier and happier me

Look forward to sharing your journey with you. Just come to the forums - there is a wealth of information and support here

Shirley

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views