Guidance on VSG

RamonaP
on 8/14/17 8:59 am

I have a million questions, but I will try to narrow them down.... I still have to decide and select a doctor...

1) Personally, I think this is the better option. Less surgery time and less rerouting of internal organs. Thoughts?

2) How long are you out of work for recovery?

3) Concerned with vomiting, etc.... how does that affect the stapling of your stomach? Tearing or ruining the surgery?

4) How long before you can really have a "meal" with others? When I'm reading things like "two tablespoons" of this or that, I'm concerned.

5) Any reassurances or guidance on why you felt it was a good decision to do?

Thanks so much!

Erin T.
on 8/14/17 9:47 am
VSG on 01/17/17

1) Personally, I think this is the better option. Less surgery time and less rerouting of internal organs. Thoughts?

This is a very personal decision. In the scheme of things, the risks are about the same and it's really based on your personal medical history as to which surgery will serve you better.

2 weeks, I work a desk job.

3) Concerned with vomiting, etc.... how does that affect the stapling of your stomach? Tearing or ruining the surgery?

The only vomiting I had was for 36 hours post surgery. It did not affect my staple line and the surgeon assured me it was fine.

4) How long before you can really have a "meal" with others? When I'm reading things like "two tablespoons" of this or that, I'm concerned.

Your way of eating will entirely change. You can sit at the table and sip a protein shake or eat your purees as soon as you'd like, but your portions will remain very small for a long time. I'm about 7 months out and eating 2-3oz of meat and 1oz of veggie per meal.

Again, it's a very personal decision and something you need to "get to" on your own. I knew for me that there wasn't going to be another way for me to maintain my weight loss. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

RamonaP
on 8/14/17 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for answering my concerns. I really like to research things and possibly to a fault, but I feel like this is a really big decision and I just want to make sure I've searched and asked before I go all in. There is so much to think about, ultimately it's my health and I keep going back to if it will help then I should just get moving to make it happen. But then that thought creeps in that I'm being lazy (not saying that about anyone else - only me) If I'd just do this or that, but I know I've tried and nothing sticks, but I do know that I want to be around for many years to come to enjoy grandbabies when they come and to enjoy my husband for another 25 years.... Part of me is scared to death to do it and the other part is scared to death - not to.

Thank you again!

theAntiChick
on 8/14/17 10:02 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16
On August 14, 2017 at 3:59 PM Pacific Time, RamonaP wrote:

I have a million questions, but I will try to narrow them down.... I still have to decide and select a doctor...

Thanks so much!

1. Once you get in to see a surgeon and they evaluate your medical history, they'll let you know if there are reasons to prefer one surgery over the other based on your individual situation. Past reflux usually means RNY is a better option. I have an autoimmune disorder that requires me to take NSAIDs and steroids at times. So RNY is not an option for me even though I have a history of mild reflux. My team and I decided to risk the reflux getting worse to keep the treatment options open that I need for my other issue. It's very individualized, and there's no way to know until you decide with your team which surgery will be best for you.
  2. I was out of work 3 days, technically. I have an IT job and work from home capabilities. I had surgery on Wed, was out completely for Thurs/Fri. Started back working from home the following Monday and was back in the office 3 days the week after that. If I'd had the option, I'd have preferred to take 2 whole weeks off. Also, I had zero complications and very little pain, thank goodness.
  3. I didn't actually vomit until I was a good 3 months post-op. I had quite a bit of nausea, but mostly around eating/drinking too fast or the wrong foods (once I was cleared for a full diet). Your doc can prescribe anti-nausea medicine and guide you if you have issues.
  4. I was probably about 3 months out before I was comfortable eating at a restaurant with people other than immediate family. I'd been on solid food long enough to figure out what my prissy sleeve liked and didn't like, and had a good idea of how much I could eat. I did a lot of pushing food around on my plate and chewed VERY slowly and completely, and didn't finish that much sooner than anyone else.
  5. This is hands-down the best thing I've done for my health, ever. I have several chronic illnesses, and the WLS didn't cure any of them, but it puts me in a healthier place to deal with them. I'm more mobile than I've been in years. I also went to therapy for my food issues, which I credit equally with the surgery in my success so far.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

RamonaP
on 8/14/17 11:54 am

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it!

Have had weight issues most of my life, not crazy bad when I was younger, but they've progressively gotten worse as I've aged.

I too have autoimmune issues - still trying to find out what's what. I have to take steroids on occasion and currently have injections to take for inflammation that they are still trying to figure out what is causing it.

I was thinking two weeks would be good, but of course I'm guessing without knowing all the facts. That's amazing that you had no complications or pain (please God, if I do this.... that's what I want LOL).

I'm paranoid (because of things I've read) about how I'll deal with these changes with my husband and life in general. We are fairly new empty nesters and the whole food thing just worries me about how we'll work it out. We've been married forever... 25 years

theAntiChick
on 8/14/17 12:24 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My hubby needed to learn about the portions I could eat (once I was back on a full diet) as he does most of the cooking and would plate me about 3 times what I could eat. I finally got him to actually measure it out, and he started adjusting appropriately.

The biggest thing we've found is that he's a "clean plate" guy, and LOVES food, and he started eating what I couldn't manage if I'd over-plated or we were out at a restaurant. So he's gained about 10# that I had lost. LOL. I am working to convince him that he doesn't need to clean his plate AND mine. LOL.

It has required changes in our approach to food, especially since it means we're really cooking for 1.3 people... he's good with cooking high protein meals, but we end up with so much left over, and I'm not much for leftovers. So the volume needs some tweaking.

It all works out though, really. :)

RamonaP
on 8/14/17 1:55 pm

Thanks! You gave me a good laugh... :)

My hubby does most of the, ok almost all of the cooking. I prefer doing dishes - you know, loading the dishwasher.

I have always worried about everyone else, before me.... I think you are right... it will all work out...

Thanks!

Renren
on 8/15/17 10:15 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I would consider making sure my Husband ordered something he could share with me and ask for an extra plate. Most restaurants will not have a problem with this, and it they do, it not somewhere I want to be anyway. Portion sizes in restaurants are to big for even non wls people.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

theAntiChick
on 8/15/17 12:04 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My husband and I have very different tastes, so that doesn't work for us anyway. If the food will reheat well, we take it home and it makes lunch for him the next day or several more meals for me. :) I also order off the appetizer menu if there's anything appropriate.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/14/17 10:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19
  1. VSG is the best surgery for some people, not for others. RNY is the better choice for patients with diabetes, and DS is often the best choice for someone with a LOT of weight to lose. While it's true that things aren't re-routed with a VSG, your stomach is being removed PERMANENTLY which is harder to "undo" than the re-routing of RNY.

2. Most people are out of work for about 2 - 3 weeks.

3. I've heard of very few cases when people injure themselves with vomiting. If it's a problem, your surgeon can give you anti-nausea medication. Leaks and tears are most often caused by advancing your post-op diet too quickly and eating solids before the stomach is healed enough to handle it.

4. You can absolutely have meals with others-- but you won't be eating very much, especially by comparison. That's the point of the surgery, after all! By the six-month point, I could eat half of a burger patty, and I didn't feel too weird at a restaurant with other people.

5. My only real regret was that I didn't have surgery sooner-- and I had mine relatively young compared to many people here on OH. I think this is a fairly common feeling.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views