Two....Years!

Donna L.
on 8/18/17 2:32 pm, edited 8/18/17 2:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My two year surgiversary snuck past me! 146 pounds in two years is decent, but I still have at least 150 to go, sadly (total loss is around 450ish or something ridiculous). And there are good reasons why, however now, I'm looking back at things, and it's interesting to see what I did that worked well, and what, uh, I totally mucked up!

Maybe this will be useful to others? I'm nowhere close to being a vet, though. So, maybe not!

1: I wish I had taken more time off work. I went back to work after about 7-9 days, and also started my clinical internship at 4 grad classes. Yeaaaaaah, I never said I was smart, people.

2: My bariatrician, Dr. Shamsi, seriously changed my life. He's freaking amazing. I wish I had seen him immediately post-op. Unfortunately, I waited about 14 months. I began to see a new counselor at the same time because Reasons (see: crazy fat lady here) and they agreed that I did, actually, have BED. Yes, we aren't supposed to diagnose ourselves, however... at any rate, his care helped me to get treatment I desperately needed.

3: I wish I had gotten a new counselor immediately post-op. My own counselor was growing his practice and I was unable to see him biweekly as was planned. This, sadly, did not contribute to my outcomes. He did apologize down the road, however I learned a lot from the experience both personally and professionally.

4: Hormones, what the heck. I have never been pregnant, and was considering it until my hormone rush post-op. Ladies, you have all my kudos and respect, let me tell you, and I mean that sincerely and honestly. I have no idea how anyone has dealt with pregnancy hormones without being a wreck. Apparently, my early massive loss triggered a torrent of hormone release. My first 320ish pounds on my own was far more gradual so I didn't notice, I guess. Post-VSG though, I basically had post-partum depression alternating with hormonal lability. I was a hot mess. Extra progesterone counteracted this and worked so immediately I was dumbfounded. People who say women are moody can go poke themselves in the eye. That stuff was nuts.

5: I was experiencing severe episodes where I?d feel a loss of control. I didn?t know it at the time, but after research and counseling, apparently this is a big manifestation for those of us with BED post-op instead of the actual binging. While it didn?t cause me to regain, I probably would?ve lost more

6: I probably would have delayed surgery a year so my gut could heal for the DS. The medical team disagrees, as my loss has made it possible for me to be a clinician much more proficiently. However, I still am a bit sad face over having had to second stage it. Also, I am uber grateful that I can still get a revision, so I'm not going to complain too much.

7: I was really glad I put everything at arm height the week before surgery. I live alone and, okay, I am short. I am 5'1" (if you count ponytails can we go with 5'2.5") and so it would have been Very Annoying to have to constantly reach.

8: Similarly, I am glad I had large physical therapy ice packs. This kept swelling down and my recovery time was pretty leet. Having had abdominal surgery multiple times, I was also ready with the foot rest (less swelling) and made a dorky bullet journal activity schedule.

9: Timers: I aced the timer exam. Seriously. I had timers for sipping, timers for exercise, and timers for protein. I stayed hydrated easily.

10: I was also having 70g of protein early into surgery. I found that I tolerated room-temp liquids the best, and so I?d mix 60g of protein into 40 ounces of water. I?d sip it constantly all day. I wound up on liquids for longer than expected due to a stomach leak. While it was boring as heck eating wise, I routinely would hit up to 80-90g a day just gradually sipping.

11: The week before surgery I upped protein to 120g a day and ingested that for 7 days. I thank this for my swift healing, as well.

12: I had extra maxi pads for wound dressing. Okay, it sounds weird, but they are 1) cheaper than gauze and 2) large enough to cover the largest of the wounds. They saved me money, and helped my clothes from rubbing against my incisions, too.

13: I bought a cheapo Hawaiian ice shaver on Amazon, and pre-froze several ice cubes made from tea, crystal light, pudding, etc. This?was freaking amazing for when I was sick of sipping.

14: While I am poor, I saved up $100 to pay someone to autoclave my home the week before surgery and two weeks after. It was the best money I ever spent, even though it took forever to save up for it. By the time I could lift stuff easier, I was able to clean my apartment.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cathy H.
on 8/18/17 3:13 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

CC C.
on 8/18/17 5:56 pm

Congratulations on two years, Donna! I love reading your insights and answers and wish you so much success in all areas of your life!

FluffyChix
on 8/19/17 4:15 am

Congrats on 2 years girlie!! Love your posts.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/19/17 9:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congratulations Donna! You've done amazingly well & don't downplay your accomplishments (plural) just because you still have more weight to lose. It looks like you lost a lot pre & post surgery & you've made significant discoveries about yourself along the way. A lot of what you achieved & will achieve can't be measured on the scale.

So kudos to you & I wish you continued success.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kristi T.
on 8/19/17 9:27 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Congratulations, you have done an amazing job Donna! You have so much insight and wisdom to offer others. I have always found your answers and posts to be so helpful, thank you!

Renren
on 8/19/17 12:54 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

Love the Hawaiian ice shaver idea. I wish I had thought of that before my surgery. I might still get one. The frozen crystal light and tea sounds great.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Rachel B.
on 8/19/17 1:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Donna, you are such an inspiration. Every time I read about what you are doing, I am inspired to consider looking into a bariatric sub-specialty. You are an incredible woman.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Doriam R.
on 8/19/17 7:12 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

ShirlAus
on 8/20/17 3:34 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Congratulations on your 2 year surgiversary and thank you for taking the time to write this. As a relative newbie it helped to read through this and I know it will help others who are pre surgery

:)

Shirley

Most Active