Curiosity question for school teachers...

happyteacher
on 9/1/17 11:09 am

I am just curious... I am wondering if when you (a school teacher) return in the fall if you lose weight without trying? Let me explain... back when morbidly obese and the norm being piling on pounds ,I noticed that every fall I lost 10 pounds without trying. It was due to the work schedule. The piles of hours of setting up the classroom, the extra time needed to establish new relationships with students, supporting the other teachers, launching the extra curriculars, etc., in general all reasons why I would skip meals frequently because I was working to get that school year working like clock work. This period for me is from day 1 of the school year until somewhere around the beginning of October, as that is typically how long it takes to wrap up all of those time sucking type issues that only occur during the onset of the school year. This is literally the only time that I lose weight effortlessly. Just wondering if others experience weight loss for the same kind of thing?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Mirandia
on 9/2/17 4:11 am
VSG on 03/14/17

While I'm not a teacher, I did have a similar thing happen back when I was in college. I started a 40 hour a week internship, while having a full time load of classes AND baby sitting in the evenings for extra ca**** was a semester of non stop business and I dropped allot of weight. It was the only time in my life where I was a "normal" weight according to the charts.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

happyteacher
on 9/2/17 5:24 pm

Yes, similar type thing for sure. The only other time I can recall a similar pattern for me was back in high school when varsity basketball started. Each 2 week period of two day practices always caused me to lose 10 pounds. I was exercising a lot back then though so not entirely the same.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

PookyS
on 9/2/17 5:55 am

This was the first week of school for me, and I lost 7.4 pounds! I had a stall during 8 days of an intense professional development schedule prior to opening school. I don't know if it's the change in schedule or even the beginning of seasonal change. I tend to retain water in heat/humidity despite the 64 ounces I am required, and as we begin to get cooler mornings and evenings it seems that I don't retain the water and have lost. One thing I find very hard is to schedule meals/drinking in the classroom. My lunch is at 1:45, so I let my kids eat a small snack at the beginning of class around 12:25 if they clean it up, and I eat some Greek yogurt along with them. High school kids are ravenous! Just an observation, but I notice teachers start to pack on the pounds late in the semester when we start to have potluck lunches or holiday treats people bring in. I'm so glad many of us are now high protein/low-carb! My VSG makes the hunger issue irrelevant now, and foods that used to taunt me are very easy to walk on by. YAY!!

happyteacher
on 9/2/17 5:25 pm

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring too. I lost 5 pounds last week, and only worked 3 days. Granted, much of that is water weight but same pattern for me each year.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/17 8:57 am

Nope. Never! If anything there is always so much crap food around I have to be wary of not indulging!

happyteacher
on 9/2/17 5:26 pm

Good to see you Devon! I agree about the crap food everywhere. I think that has a lot to do why I level out in October. More time to gravitate down to the staff lounge where so much of that his housed.

lisag58
on 9/4/17 9:26 am
VSG on 12/15/16

School days fly by for me, too, and that really does affect my eating. I struggle with wanting to quiet/soothe/comfort myself at night with too much food. I'm nine months' out from VSG and my weight loss has stalled after losing about 100 pounds. I'd like to lose another fifty or so; that's my goal.

As for sweets in the lounge, I can walk by those (after perusing). It's nuts and nut butters that are my downfall. Mindless eating is not my friend. Never has been.

happyteacher
on 9/4/17 2:54 pm

I hear you on that. I was always one to eat fairly light at school, but more than make up for that at night. Trying to be more mindful to get more protein in earlier... and exercising at night was very effective for me. Not so much for burning calories as it helped to keep me out of the fridge during those peak eating hours :) Congrats on 100 pounds!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views