I feel like I'm eating too much.. opinions? (2 weeks post op)

Carmaneel
on 9/8/17 8:20 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

I'm actually not upset at all so I apologise if you took it that way. As I said I got the answers I needed from the community and my dietician. Deleting my post helped my anxiety over my one bad eating day.

Today is a new day and I'm moving on. Lol. It's taken me over 2 hours to drink my protein shake this morning. Everyday is a different challenge and that's okay.

VSG: Aug 25th, 2017|| HW: 398 CW: 250 GW: 190 Age: 29 | 5'9"

theAntiChick
on 9/8/17 8:30 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Just in case no one mentioned it to you (docs tend to not think of these things)... fat stores hormones, and it gets dumped in your system as the weight starts coming off. It can amplify things like anxiety, short-tempered-ness, and general moodiness. For me, it was almost as bad as when I was pregnant... crying at ads on TV and biting the heads off people around me. Finding out it was hormone driven helped me get through it, because I then knew it wasn't "me" and that it would go away.

Hope today's better for you.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Erin T.
on 9/8/17 1:59 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I mean this with the absolute best intentions, but that early out you don't get to have "one bad day". One of the vets said something when I was really early about (maybe 8 weeks?) about the fact that you will never have more will power than you do the first few months after surgery. I took that to heart and you should too!

Every month brings additional temptations, additional things you can stomach, additional room you have for ancillary calories, etc. You need to absolutely stick to your plan like glue now so you can get to maintenance as quickly as possible and really use the first months to your advantage.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 12:08 pm

Hi :) i understand i am an all round post/comment deleter everywere when i get bad anxiety so i get it, but do you have chest pain eating all the food you ate? i cant eat that much now and im about 10 weeks

theAntiChick
on 9/8/17 8:27 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

People come across as harsh on these boards regarding food choices very early post-op for a couple of reasons.

The first is that eating things that you're not cleared to eat can be VERY dangerous. Here's a link to what I wrote on the subject on another board and was asked to re-post it here.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6021470/A-few-words-a bout-quotcheatingquot-on-the-post-op-dietary/

Since I didn't see your original post, I don't know if you were eating anything truly dangerous, it doesn't sound like it. But it's important to realize that the post-op "diet" isn't like other diets. It's crucial to follow your surgeon's instructions until your stomach is healed.

The second reason is that people who have been through it know how hard it is, but they also know that it's very easy to "blow" this opportunity. Getting off track right off the bat can derail the whole thing. They've seen it in other people time and time again. And then the people typically complain that the surgery failed them, when it was their choices that failed them.

Remeber, the vets who hang around these boards do so mainly because they want to help other people the way they were helped when they were new. Most of them don't really need the support boards, so they are taking time and energy to help other people. And they hate seeing people jeopardize this life-saving opportunity they've been given.

I came from a board where the culture was to coddle people who were getting off track. All sorts of insane post-op eating was being dismissed as "no big deal". And a LOT of people were being given VERY damaging information both physically and mentally as a result. One of the things I appreciate here is the straight talk and lack of coddling. We all know when we're not making the best choices. Sometimes we need someone to no-BS tell us it's time to right the ship.

I'm glad you got your answers, and hope you'll stick around to see that this board is full of caring people who only want you and everyone else here to succeed.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Carmaneel
on 9/8/17 8:40 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

Thank you for your response. I'm not going anywhere any time soon! I do.find the community very helpful and I definitely over did it yesterday calorie wise but everything I ate was on plan for me. However I can feel that I over ate yester in my eating today (or lack thereof) my stomach just doesn't want anything today. Lol

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/8/17 12:30 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm glad you got your answers! I know that people reminded me in the beginning that because nerves are cut during surgery it is impossible to really know if you are full so I measured everything to be sure there wasn't too much. I still measure most foods. Though I now feel full, it is different than it was pre-WLS and the feeling when I go a little over is not very comfortable.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 9/8/17 8:39 am

I didn't get to read your post, but maybe reconsider deleting it next time. For every person that posts there are a ton more people who only read and never get up the nerve to post. Your questions and the answers that come with it can really help someone else who is in your same shoes wondering the same things. If you delete it, then only you got to learn from it, no one else. So next time maybe "pay it forward" and leave your post for another newbie to learn from!

PS - On a few rare occasions, I have seen harsh and piling on answers on this site. What you got by way of responses was straightforward, no nonsense, "only want to help you succeed" advice. Please take it in the manner in which it was intended!

Carmaneel
on 9/8/17 7:38 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

You raise some good points regarding deleting my post so I have edited it to include my food log from yesterday again along with today for a comparison.

No hard feelings on my end about any of the responses I received, however, I may have been a touch grumpy this morning. It's hard to wake up to any criticism... even the helpful kind!

CC C.
on 9/8/17 7:50 pm

I think you've handled it well. No one likes to hear criticism even if it's meant only to help! Thanks for putting your post back up! I'm sure people will find it helpful.

You'll find that there are some strong feelings about carbs on this site. Many of us have trouble controlling ourselves with them, find they hinder our weight loss, or are simply way too easy to eat too much of. Follow your plan that your surgeon gave you. If you find down the road that it's not working, at least you know there are other schools of thought that people here have been successful with.

Most Active